Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THE MISSION

Okay, guys and gals, my year long journey through the Bible had me in Luke 15 this morning. This is one of my favorite, and I believe one of the most challenging passages in the New Testament.

Every time I read it, it reminds me of THE MISSION.

This is what came out of my S.O.A.P. time with God.

S - Scripture
O - Observation
A - Application
P - Prayer



S - Scripture:

Luke 15:1-3 (NLT), Tax collectors and other notorious sinners often came to listen to Jesus teach. 2 This made the Pharisees and teachers of religious law complain that he was associating with such despicable people; even eating with them! 3 So Jesus used this illustration...

Luke 15:1-2 (MSG), By this time a lot of men and women of doubtful reputation were hanging around Jesus, listening intently. 2 The Pharisees and religion scholars were not pleased, not at all pleased. They growled, "He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends."


O - Observation:

Jesus was a magnet for sinners. His unconditional love and attitude of acceptance drew sinners to Him in large numbers. This baffled and angered the religious elite.

Evidently, the religious elite drew lines and formed walls to keep people out. They felt this was a responsibility.

Jesus was all about tearing down walls and reaching across lines to bring people in...

People responded. They were drawn to him...

The NLT calls them "notorious sinners." The Message calls them "men and women of doubtful reputation."

How did Jesus treat these people who had been shunned by the religious community?
The NLT says "...he was assosciating with such desipicable people; even eating with them." The MSG reads, "He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends."


A - Application:

I want to become more like Christ. Unfortunately, we have a tendency in "church world" - I have a tendency in my life - to draw lines, form barricades and do everything possible to keep people out - to keep the world from infecting the nice little religious commune we've established.

We've forgotten the mission... We've forgotten the reason we're here...

This is why it was so hard for the older brother to celebrate. He thought the mission was keeping the rules, checking off the "to do list," and making certain everyone else did the same...

Jesus knew, the mission is PEOPLE. They're so valuable an important to God they're worth an all out search and rescue mission.

A man leaves 99 sheep in the fold to search for one lost sheep.

A woman sweeps and cleans the floor looking for one lost coin out of perfect matching set of 10 coins.

A father waits for his rebellious son, and once he returns having done "only God knows what," He interrupts the sons apology, wraps His arms around Him, and throws a giant party!


P - Prayer:

Oh, God help me to always remember the mission.

It's people. Not my rules. Not my agenda. Not my neat, little, sub cultural, Christian ghetto... It's people.

Oh, God. Help me to get out of my neat, safe, respectable, Christian world and reach across lines, and tear down walls to reach people...

Let me be so aggressive in reaching out that I become known as Jesus was known, as a guy who "treats sinners like old friends."



Here's the question: Is your life still about the mission? Or have you drifted into religion? What will it take for you to get back on mission?

1 comment:

Bethany Edgeworth said...

I love your statement that..."Jesus was a magnet for sinners." I need to remember that daily!