Monday, January 12, 2009

MORE BEST OF PICKS FOR 2008 - MUSIC

Since we're only 12 days into the New Year, it's a great time to look back on "the year that was." Here are my favorite albums from 2008.

Consolers of the Lonely by The Racontuers
With The Raconteurs, Jack White of the White Stripes teams up with Brendan Benson, Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler. Jack and Brendan share lead vocals and most of the writing. The music is heavily influenced by classic rockers like Led Zepplin and The Beatles. The music is original, inspired and quite frankly, on some cuts, amazing. Highlights include: Consolers of the Lonely, Old Enough, and Many Shades of Black.

It Is Time For A Love Revolution
by Lenny Kravitz
On the advice of my younger brother I downloaded Lenny's new CD. I'm SO glad I did... The CD is heavily influenced by great classical rock music, but the lyrics are something else... From the very first song you get the sense that Kravitz has a lot to say about his relationship with God. It doesn't end with the first cut. Several of the tracks not only reference God, but also challenge listeners to call out to Jesus. The song, A New Door, is a beautiful invitation to step out of the pain of your past into a living relationship with Jesus. This is an excellent album. Highlights include: Love Revolution, Bring it On, and If You Want It.

This Is Our God by Hillsong
In my opinion, this is one of the best praise worship CD's to date. It is solid from beginning to end. But while the CD is great, if you really want to experience a little bit of what this evening must have been like, pick up the DVD. You won't regret it. Highlights include: Desert Song, This Is Our God, Healer, You'll Come.

Give Yourself Away by Robbie Seay Band
I had this CD on my iPod for several weeks before giving it a thorough listen. I'm glad I listened. The CD is worshipful, creative and inspired. Robbie's voice is one of the finest voices in music right now. The tracks "Song of Hope" and "Shine Your Light On Us" are two of my favorite songs from 2008...

Viva La Vida by Coldplay
A solid release from Coldplay. The cuts Viva La Vida, Lost and Violet Hill are great tunes. I loved this CD.

Where The Light Is by John Mayer
Think Mayer is only simply an "okay" pop icon? Check out Where The Light Is which features Mayer in three settings: an acoustic set, the John Mayer Trio and John Mayer with a full band. This guy is one of the most talented musicians of this generation. This album is amazing. A feast for the music lovers ears.

Learn To Live by Darius Rucker
I've loved Hootie and the Blowfish since their "Hold My Hand" days. Lead singer, Darius Rucker takes a shot at a solo career with this country release. That's right. It's country and Darius sounds as comfortable and natural singing these tunes as he did singing, "Hold My Hand." His voice is one of the most unique voices in modern music at this time. Highlights include: Forever Road, Don't Think I Don't Think About It, Learn To Live, and If I Had Wings.

Bethany Present Deluge (Live)
A great live praise and worship CD. It moves me every time I listen to it. "Open Up The Skies" and "Whisper His Name" are outsanding.

Today Is the Day by Lincoln Brewster
Lincoln is one of the finest electric guitar players out there - PERIOD. He also has an incredible heart for God. This CD combines a glimpse of Lincoln's skill as a musician, his ability as a vocalist - he's a great singer, and passion for worship. I love this CD. Check out "Give Him Praise," "Today Is The Day" and "God You Reign." I also love the guitar work on his cover of Hillsong's "Salvation Is Here."

I Heart Revolution by United
Nothing new here. Just United doing what they do. Singing great praise and worship songs from places all over the planet. For an added treat, check out the DVD

Singalong by Phil Wickham
Who knew that a guy could take an acoustic guitar, stand in front of a few hundred people, get people to sing along with him and it would turn out to be one of the more interesting and beautiful releases of 2008. You can still download the CD free on Wickham's website. This is an excellent CD. Highlights include: Because of Your Love and Beautiful.

Folklore and Superstition by Black Stone Cherry
Classic rock. These guys are incredible musicians and Chris Robertson is one of the best lead vocalists in rock music right now. A great listen. Highlights include: Blind Man, Soul Creek, and Things My Father Said.

What were your favorite releases of 2008? Tell me a little about the music that challenged and inspired you last year?

No comments: