Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reset Fasting Blog - Day 17

Wow! This evening me and Janet we'll complete our 17th day of our 21 day adventure of prayer and fasting.

How has it been? The truth. Last week was tough. At times, even laborious. For some reason, I had some physical reactions that made things just plain hard.

This week is off to a good start. I was reminded Sunday to stay focused on the purpose of this fast. It's not just about abstaining from food, or at least abstaining from particular foods. It's not about strenuous self discipline. It's about God. It's the passionate pursuit of God's heart.

This week I'm zoning in on this purpose and asking God to let me know Him... Here's the way Paul described it in Philippians 3.

Philippians 3:8b-10 (MSG), "Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant - dog dung. I've dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ 9 and be embraced by him. I didn't want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ - God's righteousness. 10 I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience his resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself."

Here's the point: as you enter into the final four - five days of this fast, pursue God. Pursue God's heart. Ask Him to change your heart. Hunger and thirst for righteousness. To use Paul's words, "...dump [everything else] in the trash, so that you can embrace Christ."

I'm praying for you as you continue the adventure.

No comments: