Sunday, January 11, 2009

SUNDAY IN REVIEW 1.11.09

• A solid service.

• Simple, straight forward set list. Living for You (Gateway), Counting on God (New Life Worship, Desperation Band), Open Up The Sky (Delute), You’ll Come (Hillsong).

• Band was tight. Loved having Nathan and Mikey on the electrics. Great guys. Great heart for God. Nathan returns to Belmont on Wednesday. We’ll miss this guy. Pray for him and God’s leadership in his life.

• Really felt a leading to pray for the unemployed and those experiencing financial difficulties. It’s crucial that we keep this as a “front burner issue” in regards to intercession. More than 11 million Americans are out of work – probably somebody you know. God’s promise is sure: “My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

• Tough subject matter in today’s message. Have you read Malachi 2 lately? The prophet doesn’t mince words. The message of this chapter is definitely needed. It’s all about faithfulness, fidelity and “keeping covenant.”

• The big subject in Malachi 2 is marriage. I’ll post about this a little later this evening or maybe early tomorrow. But suffice it to say this chapter gets in our face about being committed to the marriage covenant.

• Talked a little about the painful subject of divorce today. I never look forward to talking about this subject. So many lives have been devastated by it. But it’s a subject that the church definitely needs to address…

• In Malachi 2:16 God says, “I hate divorce…” It’s important to point out, God never says, “I hate divorced people…” God just hates the reality. He hates the pain, devastation and consequences divorce inevitably brings… God also longs to provide grace, mercy and healing to those who’ve experienced the pain of divorce.

• Also talked about the covenant parents have with their children. And for all of you who've asked, Caley was about 9-10 years old when we had the Dunkin Donut's meltdown just before Sunday worship in South Florida. Check out the message on iTunes... You'll understand... And yes I did say it. Don't know why. Just said it. Thank God for grace.

• Also talked about the important of keeping your covenants in regards to friendships. I’ve been blessed with some really great friends whose faithfulness, loyalty and commitment to me blow me away. I thank God for bringing guys like Kevin Kelley, Jeremy Self, Stephen Burton and a few other really close friends into my life. These guys challenge me to be a better man.

• Loved this past Wednesday’s first Dream Team Session. Great attendance. Great feedback. Great start. We’ll continue this Wednesday at 6:30. We’ll meet for prayer at 6.

• We’re reading Mark Driscoll’s, Vintage Church as the text for our Dream Team Sessions. Love his definition for the church. Love this guy’s ministry.

• Finishing up the eighth day of our fast. I’ve found myself realizing how desperate I am for God. I want to know Him. I want to be changed by Him. I want Him to do something so significant for God’s kingdom in BHM through a2 that it blows our ever loving minds!

No comments: