Monday, May 18, 2009

SUNDAY IN REVIEW 05.17.09

Okay, here’s Sunday in review from my point of view.

• If my memory is correct, this is the fourth Sunday in a row with rain. Holy cow! Sometimes it feels like we’re in Seattle. (I'm not complaining - well, just a little - I'm certain we'll all appreciate the rain when BHM feels like a bedroom town to Hades this August...)

• I think the ugly weather affected our attendance. We were below 150 for the first time in a long time.

• Really appreciate the pre-service prayer. We’ve launched a new prayer ministry to pray over the Sunday AM service before the service and to meet the teaching pastor for prayer and anointing. I need this and I like it. A lot! Thanks, Dan.

• Worship was really meaningful. Love the set. Here it is:

Today is the Day, Lincoln Brewster
Living for You, Gateway Worship
From the Inside Out, Hillsong

• The band was “spot on” and it seemed like the congregation really engaged. I love what God is doing with our worship team.

• I was really challenged by the message. It started in one direction early in the week. I nailed the outline Thursday, but Friday PM and Saturday AM the whole message changed direction. Kept the outline, just changed the content. We’ll post the notes a little later. Don’t forget you can download it directly from iTunes. Here's an overview of a real simple message: "Who am I? God know me. God loves me and chose me." Amen.

• Communion, prayer and worship after the message was “the real deal.” I really want our congregation to engage like this more often. One lady wrote, “I just felt so close to God in that room.” Amen. That’s always the goal – transcendent “God moments" that put us on our knees, on our face and into the Father’s arms.

• Loved the worship response following the message. Caley nailed “Knees to the Earth” (Watermark). Wow! "The Stand" (Hillsong) is stinkin’ awesome!

• Loved getting to hang out with some a2er’s during lunch. Got to do this more often.

• Really good Board Meeting yesterday afternoon. God’s faithfulness, grace and mercy continues to blow me away. I know that He has big plans for a2.

• Yesterday we talked about David’s desire to build God a house, and God basically turning down David’s offer and saying to David, “You’re not going to build ME a house, I’m going to build YOU a house…” After church someone shot me off an email and said, “…as you were reading from 2 Samuel, where God speaks His word to Nathan (v. 7ff), I had a very strong sense that the promise there was something that you should receive for yourself; I also had an overwhelming sense of God's love for you. I think you already know both of these things, and the Holy Spirit just wants to encourage *you* in the word he gave you to teach.” This emaiil just blew me away. God is so amazingly good. I’m overwhelmed.

• This Sunday I’ll be sharing an important stand-alone message. Invite a friend to attend with you. Should be good. Should be fun. Yeah, I know it's Memorial Day weekend and you're already thinking about the beach, the river, Smith Lake, whatever... But if you are in BHM, this service is going to be SMOKIN'! By the way, if you're taking break with your family - I'm NOT talking to you... Don't feel guilty. Enjoy yourself. You need this kind of stuff, so have some FUN!

• On May 31 we’ll be kicking off a three to four week series on SPIRITUAL WARFARE. Believe me, it is going to ROCK! Make plans to be present.

• Have had an opportunity to spend a little time with my amazing wife the last couple of days. I love the fact that after almost 26 years, I still love this GIRL. Yeah, God for a great woman and a good life.

• That’s it… I love you and thank God for you ALL! I'm out!

No comments: