Tuesday, August 11, 2009

IF GOD IS REAL?

Sam Harris is an avid atheist who has written such best-selling books as The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation.

As John Avant points out in his new book, If God Were Real, sometimes it seems that atheist like Harris understand the implications God’s existence better than believers do.

Here’s a quote from Sam Harris’s book, Letter to a Christian Nation.

"The Bible is either the word of God, or it isn’t. Either Jesus offers humanity the one, true path to salvation (John 14:6(, or he does not. We agree that to be a true Christian is to believe that all other fatihs are mistaken, and profoundly so. If Christianity is correct, and I persist in my unbelief, I should expect to suffer the torments of hell. Worse still, I have persuaded others, and many close to me, to reject the very idea of God. They too will languish in “eternal fire” (Matthew 25:41). If the basic doctrine of Christianity is correct, I have misused my life in the worst conceivable way. I admit this without a single caveat."

Wow! And that’s from an atheist.

Here’s a question: Do I take God seriously? Really? Do I believe God is alive, active, vibrant and real? Not only that, do I not only believe it, but I do LIVE LIKE IT?

Check out John Avant’s new book, If God Were Real. By the way, Avant believes God is real and writes about how the reality of God ought to shake up and define the way we live.

Good stuff.

No comments: