Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Albums of All Time




I love Christmas music...

When i was growing up, Dad and Mom made it a special part of our lives... Some of the very same LP's we listened to thirty years ago, are still in my top pics of all time...



Here's a list of some of my top Christmas albums of all time:

The Andy Williams Christmas Album

I loved listening to this album growing up... When I found it as a re-release on CD, me and Janet bought it several years ago. We listen to it every year, and it takes me back to being a boy...

The orchestration is terrific. Williams' voice is iconic. The songs are classics. When Williams sings, "It's the most wonderful time of the year," I believe him.

This is a terrific Christmas album that's certain to put you in the Christmas spirit...


Mariah Carey, Merry Christmas
I think this CD came out in 1994. It's been one of our family's favorites ever since...

Highlights include, "All I Want for Christmas is You." A classic American, feel good love song, with a Christmas twist. This is great music.

Carey also handles spiritual classics with beauty and grace. Check out her covers of songs like "Silent Night," "O Holy Night," "Jesus Born on this Day," and, "Hark the Herald Angels Sing." These arrangements are gorgeous.

She also adds a gospel feel to covers like "Joy To The World," and "Jesus, Oh What A Wonderful Child." These tunes will make you feel like you just went to church!

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of Carey's present music releases. But with fifteen years under it's belt and counting, this CD may become a Christmas classic. Check it out. It's one of the most uplifting Christmas releases of all time.


Michael McDonald's, In The Spirit: A Christmas Album
Michael McDonald has one of the most amazing and original voices in music. You remember him from his work with The Doobie Brothers and follow up solo career... That voice... Almost every male singer or wannabe singer has wished at some point they could sing like Michael McDonald. Wow.

About eight years ago McDonald released a Christmas CD of almost all original tunes. Because he doesn't cover a lot of standards, the album took a while to grow on me... But eventually, the album because a favorite in the Goins' house... It still is...

McDonald has always had an appreciation for soulful gospel. It shows up in tunes like the excellent cover, "Children Go Where I Send Thee." Oh, man... Every time I listen to this I'm ready to have church... To originals like "House Full of Love" and "To Make A Miracle." These songs? We're talking "soul on steroids."

The most amazing song on the album has to be "Peace," a song McDonald co-wrote with Beth Nielsen Chapman. It tells the story of the wise men and anyone else who has longed to find God... Every time I hear it, it moves me... Deeply.


These are in my top three. Other notables for best Christmas Albums of all time include:

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Great big band covers of classics and fun originals...

Harry Connick Jr., Harry for the Holidays - More jazz / big band covers of Christmas classics and a few originals...

Bing Crosby , Merry Christmas - White Christmas, Need I say more...

Chris Tomlin, Glory in the Highest - A terrific Christmas worship experience... Christy Nockels cover of "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus is stunning...

Vince Guaraldi Trio, A Charlie Brown Christmas - Beautiful jazz instrumentals that stand as musical masterpieces...


What about you? What are your favorite Christmas albums of all time?

I would love to add some great new Christmas music to the iPod.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog looks nice on Christmas Albums. Michael McDonald's, In The Spirit: A Christmas Album is my favourite. Have a wonderful Christmas. Ihampers.co.uk