Sunday, August 15, 2010

COMMUNITY 101 - Part 1 Extended Notes

Nobody Stands Alone
Sunday Worship Experience

August 8, 2010

Wow! Last Sunday we kicked off a brand new series on relationships titled Community 101. Worship absolutely rocked! Here's the setlist from last Sunday AM.

God Is Alive by Fee
Sing, Sing Sing by Chris Tomlin
God You Reign by Lincoln Brewster

Loved hearing our people sing, "God You Reign." Their voices raised the roof!

This morning we did an original song by our very on Mike Shaw titled, Morning's Light. Mike is a gifted songwriter and vocalist and I'm so thankful he shared this song with our church family. This song is not available on You Tube or iTunes, but you can pick up a free CD at a2 Church featuring several cuts from Mike. Great CD.

The service closed out with a cover of Hillsong London's Glorious One. This tune is included in the new Hillsong Live DVD, A Beautiful Exchange as one of the extras. It's a terrific song!

Here are the extended notes from today's message. Also, download the podcast on the a2 website @ a2church.org or via iTunes.


Nobody Stands Alone
COMMUNITY 101 - Part 1

Chris Goins - August 8, 2010

In the beginning, eons before anything at all existed, God existed! But God wasn't isolated and God wasn't alone. God enjoyed and experienced community and interdependence with the other members of the Trinity. It was in the context of that community that God created humanity.

Genesis 1:26 (NIV), God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness… ”

Genesis 1:31 (NIV), God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 2:18 (NLT), God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a companion who will help him.”

Getting Connected:

1. We Can Connect With God Through The Cross.

Romans 6:23 (NLT), …the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Connecting with God:

• Adam Failed.

Romans 3:23 (NLT), …everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard.

• Jesus Nailed.

Matthew 23:37, O Jerusalem, Jerusalem…How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.

Romans 5:10 (NIV), …when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son…

• Grace Prevailed.

Romans 5:20 (NIV),
…where sin increased, grace increased all the more…

Romans 5:20-21 (MSG), …sin didn't, and doesn't, have a chance in competition with the aggressive forgiveness we call grace. When it's sin versus grace, grace wins hands down. All sin can do is threaten us with death, and that's the end of it. Grace, because God is putting everything together again through the Messiah, invites us into life—a life that goes on and on and on, world without end.

John 15:13-15 (NLT), There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.


John 17:20-23 (NLT), I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father—that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me.
22 "I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.



2. We Can Connect With People Through Community.

Ecclesiastes 4:7-8 (MSG), I turned my head and saw yet another wisp of smoke on its way to nothingness: 8 a solitary person, completely alone—no children, no family, no friends—yet working obsessively late into the night, compulsively greedy for more and more, never bothering to ask, “Why am I working like a dog, never having any fun? And who cares?” More smoke. A bad business.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NLT), Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.10 If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.11 Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone?12 A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.


Four Advantages for Doing Life Together:

• Help when you’re down and it’s hard to get back up (vs. 9-10).

• Warmth, acceptance and encouragement when the world turns cold (vs. 11).

• Someone who has your back when you’re outnumbered and under attack (v. 12).

• Power and strength to keep you from bending and breaking when the pressure is on.


Psalm 68:6 (NLT), God places the lonely in families…

No comments: