Tuesday, December 21, 2010

ESTABLISHING YOUR GAME PLAN FOR PERSONAL / SPIRITUAL GROWTH - 2011

The week after Christmas and before the New Year represents a great opportunity to spend time in prayer, reflection, evaluation and goal setting.

Most business men and women work hard to develop an annual "business plan," but what about a "spiritual growth plan?"

Here's the question: What practices, "disciplines," or spiritual "graces" will you build into your life in 2011 that will give you an opportunity to grow and become more like Jesus?

What books do you plan on reading?

What small group will you be a part of?

What priority will you give to corporate worship?


These are just a few of the questions you might want to consider at the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011.

John Ortberg has written an excellent article over on Christianity Today's website that will help you think through the process of developing a spiritual growth plan. Check it out here. (By the way, John has written one of the most accessible books on the subject of spiritual disciplines you're likely to read... God has used his book, The Life You've Always Wanted, in a profound way in my personal life. I highly recommend it.)

If you want to really dig deep into the evaluation aspect, the folks at Lifeway have provided a pretty intense Spiritual Growth Assessment tool you can check out... (By the way, I haven't used the tool... I'm not certain my ego could handle it... But it does appear to be helpful, if not a little tedious...)

Also, the folks at YouVersion.com have provided several Bible reading plan options worthy of your consideration for the New Year. You can check out all the options by clicking here. (The plans at You Version have played a significant role in my devotional life over the last two years... And since I journal and write on my computer, the ability to copy and paste passages of Scripture directly from the You Version site to my journal, blog, FB page and / or message notes is really helpful...)

A couple of weeks ago our Wednesday AM Men's Small Group came across this passage.

"Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty." ~ Proverbs 21:5 (NLT)

Pretty simple and straight forward... But the conversation that God ignited was important. As we thought about the importance of financial and business planning, we were all struck by our lack when it comes to planning for spiritual growth, a vibrant marriage, etc. The discussion challenged and convicted me.

So, I'm looking forward to Christmas! Can't wait to worship on Christmas Eve and spend some time celebrating with family and friends... But I'm also looking forward to taking some "down" time next week just to think through where I've been, what I've done, where I'm going, where I want to go and who I want to become...

Want to join the adventure?

Merry Christmas!

No comments: