Friday, January 1, 2016

My Favorite Music of 2015

Chris StapletonTraveller
My brother introduced me to the music of Chris Stapleton during Thanksgiving. Wow! Where have I been? Great voice. Excellent song writing. One of the best releases of 2015. Can’t wait to hear more from this talented artist.

Oh, and by the way, if you missed his performance with Justin Timberlake at the 2015 CMA Awards… Holy cow! One of my favorite award show performances of all time!

Stand Out Tracks include: Traveller; Daddy Doesn’t Pray Anymore; Fire Away; Parachute; When The Stars Come Out

I didn’t like this very much when I first listened to it… But the more I listened, the more it grew on me.  Some of my favorite songs of 2015 come off this release including: No Longer Slaves; You Don’t Miss A Thing and We Will Not Be Shaken.

Stand Out Tracks include: No Longer Slaves; You Don’t Miss A Thing; Ever Be; We Will Not Be Shaken


TobymacThis Is Not A Test
This dude continues to deliver great songs, spot-on production and music that makes you want to dance.

Stand Out Tracks include: Feel It; Til The Day I Die; Move (Keep Walking); Backseat Driver; Lights Shine Bright


Mumford and SonsWilder Mind
When I heard that M&S were ditching the acoustic instruments and going electric, I didn’t expect much… But this album is fresh, passionate and meaningful. Hats off to the guys for venturing out. This album was one of my favorites of the year.

Stand Out Tracks include: Believe; The Wolf; Broad-Shouldered Beasts; Only Love


Josh GarrelsHome
Song writing that stands out… Vocal performances that are soulful and passionate… “Heaven’s Knife” contains some of the best, most moving lyrics about marriage ever written. A great album!

Stand Out Tracks include: Born Again; Heaven’s Knife; Morning Light; At the Table


I’ve been a huge Steve Taylor fan since “I Want To Be A Clone” (1983). Holy cow!  Steve’s lyrics clever lyrics, energetic performances,  

If you’re a fan, you know that Steve has taken a long hiatus from music, but this release by Steve Taylor and the Perfect Foil featuring Peter Furler from Newsboys, John Mark Painter from Fleming and John and Jimmy Abegg from the Ragamuffin Band and Charlie Peacock, brought back what we all loved about Steve! NOTE: I think the album actually came out in 2014, but somehow I missed it until the fall of 2015. Thanks so much, Steve! It’s great to have you back!

Stand Out Tracks: Goliath; Only A Ride; Moonshot


Vertical Church BandChurch Songs
A solid worship album. Great lyrics and musicianship. “Spirit of the Living God” is one of my favorite worship songs of 2015.

Stand Out Tracks include: Spirit of the Living God; Do What You Want To; Lamb of God; Bound for Glory


John Mark McMillanLive at the Knight
John Mark McMillan is one of the best song writers to come along in some time… I’ve loved all of his albums. His voice reminds me a modern Johnny Cash… This live album features some of his best songs to date in a life setting. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stand Out Tracks include: Heart Won’t Stop / Stand By Me; Future / Past; Guns / Napoleon


for KING &COUNTRYRun Wild. Live Free.
I think this album actually came out in 2014, but I didn’t get to listen to it until 2015. These songs really come alive when you see the guys perform them live. A great release from a very promising band. Check out “The Live Room” sessions. Awesome stuff.

Stand Out Tracks include: To the Dreamers; Fix My Eyes; Long Live; Run Wild



My Favorite Songs of the Year:

Good Good Father by HOUSEFIRES II


All He Says I Am by Gateway Worship and Cody Carnes


Chasing Me Down by Israel & New Breed featuring Tye Tribbett


No Longer Slaves by Bethel Music featuring Jonathan David and Melissa Heller

Feel It by Tobymac

Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon






No comments: