Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Six Areas We Need To Dream About — Part 1

“Everybody ends up somewhere in life. A few people end up somewhere on purpose.” —Andy Stanley

There are at least six areas in life where developing a dream, goal or  mission will allow you to “end up somewhere on purpose.”

Here are six areas that I regularly think about. Six aspects of my life where I’ve written a clear dream statement as to the outcome I want to achieve.

I’ll share two areas today and come back with four tomorrow. So, let’s get started:

  • My Relationship with God
This is essential for me. If nothing else gets done, this has to get done. I don't say that out of some legalistic or religious sense of duty. I mean that I am absolutely and completely desperate for and dependent upon God. In fact, everything else flows out of my relationship with God. My faith informs and affects every other area of my life, especially the way I relate to and love other people.

If nothing else gets done, this has to get done!

My dream statement for what I want my relationship with God to look like actually comes from a passage in the Bible that was written by a guy named Paul. Before being transformed by the love of God, this dude was ruthless. He hated this new, radical group of Jesus followers and was doing everything possible to wipe them out.

He was ambitious, driven, educated, knowledgeable, smart and talented. He had the total package. But the dude didn’t actually know God until one day when God interrupted and crashed into his well-planned out life! That day changed everything. Paul ultimately became the greatest proponent of Christianity in history!

In a book he wrote called Philippians, he describes his background, pedigree and a list of accomplishments. But he looks at all and makes an incredible statement: 

“…everything I once thought I had going for me is
insignificant — dog dung.
I’ve dumped it all in the trash…” —Philippians 3:8

Talk about radical! Evidently, this guy had found something…found someone…who was so compelling that nothing else mattered.

So, what was his goal? What was his passion? What was His life-defining dream? He describes it in Philippians 3:10. I’ve taken The Amplified Classic Translation and used it to form my own dream statement when It comes to my relationship with God.

“I want to know Jesus Christ. I want to progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him… I want to perceive, recognize and understand the wonders of His person more strongly and clearly than ever… I want the power that flows from the reality of His resurrection to flow through me, changing me from the inside out… I wanted to be continually transformed and become more and more like Jesus…” Paraphrased from the Amplified Classic Translation of Philippians 3:10

“I want to know Jesus Christ. I want to progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him…”

That’s it! That’s what I long for my relationship with God to look like.

  • My Relationships with Family and Friends
I’ve “borrowed” my dream statement in this area from Rick Warren and Mark Batterson. At the end of the day, it’s my prayer “…that those who know me best respect me most.”

I want to live such a life of authentic integrity in my home, among my friends, around those who see me up close and personal that they say, “That guy was the real deal. Perfect? Absolutely not! But genuine? Real? Authentic? Compassionate? Caring? Loving? Kind? Faithful? He sure went for it…”

…that those who know me best will respect me the most.


These two areas represent the two most important things in my life. Everything that follows exists only for one of two reasons: to glorify God or to somehow serve others.

Do you have a dream statement for these two areas? Have you written something down? Give it try. Begin to review that statement regularly. You’ll be surprised at the power of bringing all your energies to bear in pursuit of a God-given dream!

I'll share the additional four in our next post. Until then, keep dreaming! 



No comments: