Friday, January 6, 2017

A Daily Prayer

Some time ago I read John Eldredge’s book, “Moving Mountains: Praying with Passion, Confidence and Authority.” I enjoyed the book!  In fact, it contained several insights that have significantly lifted my prayer life. 

In the book, John walks through what he calls a “Daily Prayer.” This really connected with me. So much so, that I’ve taken John’s prayer and used it as a guide to build and develop my own “daily prayer.” 

I don’t actually pray through this every day. I want to be led by the Spirit. I also find that too much ritual or routine allows me to drift into passionless prayer and sort of go on “auto pilot.”

Further, even when I do use the “Daily Prayer” as a guide, I don’t feel compelled to pray through the entire thing from beginning to end. If the Holy Spirit leads me to pause or “lean into” a specific area. I hang out there as long as needed. 


Remember, the goal of time with God is not to check something off a to-do list. The goal is always God! 

With that said, as we get closer to launching 40 Days of Prayer at a2 Church, I offer this “Daily Prayer.” If it helps you, great! If it doesn’t help or assist you, please “can” it. 



My Daily Prayer
Based upon “Daily Prayer” in the book, “Moving Mountains” by John Eldredge

Good morning, Heavenly Father! 

Thank You for rest, sleep, a new day and a new opportunity to worship You, honor You, to love You with my life! 


Jesus, I pause at the beginning of this day to acknowledge that You are Lord and Leader of my life… 

Lord Jesus, I come to you… To be restored in you, renewed in you, to receive your life, your love and all the grace and mercy I so desperately need today. 

I honor you as Lord and Leader of my life. I surrender every aspect and dimension of my life to you. I give you my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will. 

I take my everyday, ordinary life – my sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before You as an offering… As a living sacrifice… (Romans 12:1-2)

I cover myself with your blood—my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will (1 John 1:7; Revelation 1:5; Revelation 12:11; Hebrews 9:14; Hebrews 10:19, 22). 

I also pray this for my family…

Janet (my wife, my love, my partner and heart)
Chelsea, Cody and Jack
Caley (and her future husband)
Camryn (and her future husband)
All of our future grandchildren and their spouses and children

Jesus, I pray that our family would live in the finished work of Christ and under the precious blood of Jesus — continually cleansed and washed of all sin, victorious and overcoming because of what You did on the cross, with our consciences cleansed, purged and purified of all sin, dead works, shame and regret, equipped and empowered to serve you, and filled with confidence to enter Your presence. (1 John 1:7; Revelation 1:5; Revelation 12:11; Hebrews 9:14; Hebrews 10:19, 22)

Jesus, I ask Holy Spirit to restore me in you, renew me in you, and lead this time of prayer. In all that I now pray, I stand in total agreement with your Word… (Romans 8:26-27; Ephesians 6:18; Jude 1:20; 1 Corinthians 14:15)


Holy Trinity

Heavenly Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, you alone are worthy of all my worship, my heart’s devotion, all my praise, all my trust, and all the glory of my life (Romans 16:25-27; Ephesians 2:18; Ephesians 3:14-16; Colossians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 13:14).


I love you, I worship you, and I give myself You. You alone are Life, and you have become my life. 

I renounce all other gods and every idol. God, I give to you the place in my heart and life that you truly deserve and only You can fill (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 31:7; 1 John 5:21).

This is all about you, and not about me. I pray that my life would be all about you, and not about me…  Jesus, You are the Hero of this story… I pray that You would always be the Hero of my story… (John 3:30; Romans 11:36; Colossians 1:16) 

I ask your forgiveness for my every sin. Search me, know me, and reveal to me where you are working in my life, and grant to me the grace of your healing and deliverance and a deep and true repentance (1 John 1:9; Psalm 139:23-24).



Heavenly Father

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me and choosing me before you made the world. You are my true Father—my creator, redeemer, sustainer, and the true end of all things, including my life. (Ephesians 1:4; Luke 12:32; Romans 8:15-16; 1 John 3:1)


I love you, I trust you, and I worship you. I give myself over to you, Father, to be one with you as Jesus is one with you. (John 17:21)

Thank you for proving your love for me by sending Jesus. I receive him and all his life and all his work which you ordained for me. Thank you for including me in Christ, forgiving me my sins, granting me his righteousness, making me complete in him. (Romans 5:8)

Thank you for adopting me into Your forever family. Thank You for making me Your child. (John 1:12-13; Ephesians 1:5, 2:19; Romans 8:14-19, 9:26; 1 John 3:1-2; Galatians 4:5-7, 3:26)

Thank you for making me alive with Christ, raising me with him, seating me with him at your right hand, establishing me in his authority, and anointing me with your love and your Spirit and your favor. (1 John 2:27; Psalm 45:7; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22)

I receive it all with thanks and give it total claim to my life—my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will. 



Jesus Christ
His Work of Redemption — Cross, Resurrection and Ascension

Jesus, thank you for coming to ransom me with your own life. I love you, worship you, and trust you. I give myself over to you to be one with you in all things. (Matthew 20:28; 1 Timothy 2:5-6; 1 Peter 1:18-19; Revelation 5:9)


I receive all the work and triumph of your cross, death, blood, and sacrifice for me, through which my every sin is atoned for, I am ransomed, delivered from the kingdom of darkness, and transferred to your kingdom; my sin nature is removed, my heart circumcised unto God, and every claim being made against me is cancelled and disarmed. (1 Jn 2:2; Isa 53:5-6; 1 Peter 2:24; Colossians 1:13, 2:13-15; Romans 6:6)

I take my place now in the finished work of the cross, dying with you to sin, to my flesh, to this world, to the evil one and his kingdom. I take up the cross and crucify my flesh with all its pride, arrogance, doubt, unbelief, my propensity towards idolatry, greed, pre-occupation with self, and failure to love… I put off the old man. (Romans 6:6-8, 11; Galatians 2:20; 5:24; Colossians 3:3; Matthew 16:24; Ephesians 4:22-24)

Apply to me all the work and triumph in your cross, death, blood, and sacrifice; I receive it with thanks and give it total claim to my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will.

Jesus, I also receive you as my Life, and I receive all the work and triumph in your resurrection, through which you have conquered sin, death, judgment, and the evil one. Death has no power over you, nor does any foul thing. And I have been raised with you to a new life, to live your life—dead to sin and alive to God. (Colossians 3:4; 2:13-15; 1 Peter 1:3; Romans 6:4-5; Ephesians 2:4-6).

I take my place now in your resurrection and in your life, and I give my life to you to live your life. I am saved by your life. I reign in life through your life. I receive your hope, love, faith, joy, goodness, trueness, wisdom, power, and strength. Apply to me all the work and triumph in your resurrection; I receive it with thanksgiving, and I give it total claim to my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will. (Romans 5:17)


Jesus, I also sincerely receive you as my authority, rule, and dominion, my everlasting victory against Satan and his kingdom… I receive all the work and triumph in your ascension, through which Satan has been judged and cast down, and all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to you. (Matthew 28:18; Ephesians 1:18-22)

Jesus, You are worthy to receive all glory and honor, power and dominion, now and forever. I take my place now in your authority. I thank You that because of your cross and resurrection I have been raised to sit with you in heavenly places, and you have granted me authority… 

I give myself to you… Apply to me all the work and triumph in your authority and your throne; I receive it with thanks and I give it total claim to my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will.



The Finished Work of Christ in My Life

I now bring the authority, rule, and dominion of the Lord Jesus Christ and the work of cross over my life today: my home, my household, my work, a2 Church, relationships, over every aspect of my life and every area where you have called me to live and lead. 

I also bring the authority, rule, and dominion of Jesus over my family… 


Janet (my wife, my love, my heart)
Chelsea, Cody and Jack
Caley (and her future husband)
Camryn (and her future husband)
All our future grandchildren and their spouses and children

I bring the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ and the full work of the cross against every evil power that is coming or may come against me—against every foul spirit, every demon, their devices, works and effects… 

(Things like fear, depression, anxiety, confusion, chaos, debt, lack, auto-immune diseases, sickness, weakness, hereditary illnesses, mental illness, generational sin…)

I cut them off in the name of Jesus Christ; I bind and banish them from me, my family, the people of a2 Church, and from every area of my life and leadership now, in the mighty name of Jesus!

I also bring the full work of Christ between me and every person. I pray that only the love of God and the Spirit of God would flow between me and the people in my life… I specifically pray this for my marriage, our home, our family, the a2 Church family… I bring the full work of Christ between me and every person. I make a decision today to allow only the love of God and the Spirit of God between us. 



Holy Spirit


Holy Spirit, thank you for coming. I love you, I worship you, I trust you. I receive all the work and triumph in Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4), through which you have come, you have clothed me with power from on high (Luke 24:49), sealed me in Christ (Ephesians 1:13-14; 4:30), You are the Spirit of truth in me (John 16:13), the life of God in me (Psalm 104:30; Ezekiel 37:1-14; John 6:63; Romans 8:2), my counselor, comforter (John 14:16-18, 26; 16:7; 1 John 2:1), strength (Acts 1:8), and guide (John 16:13; Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:18, 25).
 I honor you as Lord, and I fully give to you every aspect and dimension of my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will—to be filled with you, to walk in step with you in all things. (Ephesians 5:18; Acts 2:4; 4:31)

Fill me afresh, Holy Spirit. May the fruit of the Spirit fill every aspect of my life and relationships… I pray that I would walk and grow in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23). 


Holy Spirit, what are you saying to me today? 

Help me to hear what you are saying... Help me to listen to Your voice... 

Restore my union with the Father and the Son. Lead me into all truth, anoint me for all of my life, walk, work and calling. Lead me deeper into Jesus today. I receive you with thanks, and I give you total claim to my life. (1 John 2:27; Ezekiel 47:1-12)



Cleansing and Putting on the Full Armor of God


Heavenly Father, thank you for granting to me every spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus. I claim the riches in Christ Jesus over my life today. I bring the blood of Christ once more over my spirit, soul, body, heart, mind, and will. (Ephesians 1:3, 7-8; Colossians 1:27, 2:10) 

I put on the full armor of God: the belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, shoes of the gospel of peace, and the helmet of salvation; I take up the shield of faith and sword of the Spirit. I choose to be strong in the Lord and in the power of your might, and to pray at all times in the Spirit. (Ephesians 6:10-18)



A Prayer for Protective Angels 
“Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?” —Hebrews 1:14 NIV

Jesus, thank you for your angels. I summon them in Your Holy Name and ask that they would put down and destroy anything that is raised against me… I pray that they would work to establish your Kingdom over me and my family and to guard me and my family day and night. 



The Kingdom of God

Heavenly Father, I now call forth the kingdom of God and ask that Your kingdom — Your rule and righteous reign — be established in me, my home, my family, my relationships, a2 Church, and every area where you’ve called me to live and to lead… Let your Kingdom fill every aspect of my life and leadership. I ask this in the name of Jesus… 



I also pray that every aspect of my life – my attitudes, actions, words, conversations – would bring You great glory! 

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be pleasing and acceptable in Your Sight, O Lord, my rock and redeemer” (Psalm 19:14). 




Father, I pray this blessing over my family – Janet, Chelsea, Cody, Jack, Caley, Camryn, their future spouses, our future grandchildren… I pray this blessing over the leadership team, board, elders, ministry leaders and people of a2 Church…

“May the bless you and keep (or protect) you… May the Lord make His face shine on you… May He smile on you and be gracious to you… May the Lord turn His face toward you… May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace.” (Numbers 6:23-26)


I honor You. I worship You! I thank You for who you are and all that You have done and will continue to do in my life! You are good! You are gracious! You are kind! 

May my life honor You today! 


No comments: