Monday, January 9, 2017

TWO CHAIRS

Bob Beaudine is the president and CEO of Eastman and Beaudine. He’s one of the top sports and entertainment search executives in the country. He’s also passionate follower of Jesus.

This weekend I read his new book, 2 Chairs: The Secret That Changes Everything. It's a short read, very practical and inspiring.

In the book, Bob says that “the greatest advice in life or business every passed on to [him] was passed on by his late mom, Martha Beaudine, [back in 1976]…”

One day his mom looked at him and said, “There is nothing that you could do or think of in life, Bob, that would be more important than setting up two chairs right now and doing it every day of your life.” 

At first Bob was confused. "Setting up two chairs? What is she talking about?"

But Bob writes: “The secret Mom was talking about is this: 




“God wants to spend time with each of us every morning, before we begin each day. 
He wants to talk to us, to be friends. He already knows everything about us, and 
He wants us to know everything about Him.” 

For the last 40 years, every day, Bob has set up two chairs and spent time with God. It has revolutionized his life…

Bob’s book may be the most simple book on prayer I’ve ever read. But it moved me! It inspired me! It deeply touched me! Bob closes the book describing one of the most incredible stories I’ve ever read. I'll close this post with Bob's story and encourage you to check out the book for yourself.


Two Chairs

The day following my mom’s eightieth birthday party, she called me to say her back was hurting. She said she had slipped on some water when she got home...but didn’t want to bother me, even though I lived only a few blocks away. That morning, though, she asked if I could come over. 

My mom was a young eighty, active with friends, still driving, and doing her own thing without concern. When I arrived, I could see immediately that her back was tight. I took her over to the doctor, and he said it was a slight bruise. But over the next five days it seemed to get worse. She couldn’t get in and out of bed easily, and it was very difficult for her to get around. After taking her back to the doctor, he gave her some anti-inflammatory pills and told her to put a heating pad on it from time to time. 

The next day when I arrived, I could see Mom’s attitude had changed. She was still in a lot of pain, but she was much more determined. I thought that was good. I asked her how she had slept and she said she had long conversations with God at her 2 Chairs. That’s when my mom said that she had come to a decision: If this keeps hurting, I am going to tell God to take me home."

I said, What? No! You can tell God you’ll be ready at ninety-seven, maybe, but not eighty!

“Listen, everything is okay with all the kids, and I miss your dad and would love to meet God and see heaven.

“No way! Mom, your back is just bruised.

All she said next was, I’m just telling you.

I immediately called my sister Nancy, who also lived close by, to tell her what Mom had said: If she doesn’t feel better, she’s going to tell God to bring her home. Now this whole conversation would not have fazed me, but because my mom had such a great relationship with God at her 2 Chairs, I knew that He might just “do it” for her— if she asked. I told my sister to come over pronto. She talked it all through with Mom, and all seemed better. I told my mom as I left that I’d come over and check on her the next morning after I finished a breakfast meeting. 

I rang the doorbell the next morning. No answer. I knocked. Nothing. I thought maybe she couldn’t hear me because she was in the backyard, so I let myself in using the key I had. As I walked in, it only took three steps before I felt God stop me. I heard Him say, 


Bob, your mom is sitting with Me right now. Don’t be afraid. 
Before you go around the corner, guard your heart.

I was stunned! I ran in and saw her. 


She was sitting in her chair and her eyes and mouth were wide open with an expression like 
she had just seen a long-lost friend. Her two arms were reaching out as if she was 
greeting that friend with a hug

Did she just tell me yesterday she was going home? Did she just call her shot in the corner pocket? She did!

Sitting there next to her at that moment was surprisingly not scary. Why? Because all my life Mom had talked to me about how amazing going to heaven would be. She couldn’t wait to meet God, see Dad, her parents, and all those who went before her who knew the “secret”— that we can know Him before we get there.  —Bob Beaudine, 2 Chairs: The Secret That Changes Everything

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Why not set up two chairs today? One for you and one for God? Invite Him to meet with you... Spend time with your Father... He loves spending time with you!

No comments: