Saturday, February 9, 2008

THE WAITING MIRACLE

Here are the notes from this past Wedesday's and Thurday's Bible Study.

The Waiting Miracle
TRUE FAITH: A Study in the Book of James
James 5:7-12

I. WHEN To Wait?

A. When Circumstances Are Beyond Your Control.

James 5:7 (NIV), Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.

B. When People Refuse To Change.

James 5:10, Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.

C. When Your Problems Just Can't Be Explained.

James 5:11b, You have heard of Job's perseverance…


II. WHY Wait?

A. Because God Is In Control.

James 5:8, You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.

James 5:8 (PH), …you must be patient, resting your hearts on the ultimate certainty. The Lord’s coming is very near.

Three Reminders:
• My life may be out of my control, but it’s not out of God’s control!
• God’s purpose for my life is greater than my problems.
• God’s timing is perfect!

B. Because God Rewards Waiting.

James 5:11, As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered.

The Profit Patience Brings;
• Patience builds character.
• Patience strengthens my faith.
• Patience deepens my dependence on God.
• Patience increase my eternal reward (Matthew 5:11-12).

C. Because God Is Working Things Out!

James 5:11b, You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

Philippians 2:13, …it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.


III. WHAT DO I DO While I Wait?

A. Wait Expectantly.

James 5:7, See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.

Psalm 130:5 (LB), I wait expectantly, trusting God to help, for he has promised. (See Matthew 9:29)

Isaiah 49:23 (GN), The Lord says… “No one who waits for My help will be disappointed.”

B. Wait Quietly.

James 5:9, Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

James 5:12, Above all, my brothers, do not swear--not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned. (Lamentations 3:26)

C. Wait Confidently.

Micah 7:7, I wait confidently for God. (See Exodus 14:13)

No comments: