Thursday, September 4, 2008

LEAVING A LEGACY THAT LASTS - PART 3


PRINCIPLE THREE: Live What You Believe!

One of my favorite verses in 2 Timothy is Chapter 4, Verse 7 where Paul makes this statement.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

Paul uses some powerful metaphors to describe character qualities like loyalty, perseverance, grit, guts, faithfulness and determination that are "required equipment" for people who want to leave a legacy that lasts.


I have fought the good fight

The word fight literally means struggle or agony. Paul is basically saying, “Timothy… You need to know that everything hell could possibly throw at me – it has thrown at me, but I’m still in the game. I’ve not thrown in the towel. I haven’t given up! My colors are still flying high.”

The last year was a tough year for Dad physically. Almost a year ago, he experienced the first problems with his kidneys. Then, in January 2008 we learned about the brain tumor…

Nothing prepares you for hearing the doctor use the word "cancer" and "brain" in the same sentence.

After brain surgery, recovery, a series of Rytuxin treatments, followed up by radiation treatments, followed up another MRI, Dr. Slaybock, Dad's cancer doc, met with Dad and Mom. It wasn’t the meeting we were all hoping for…

Dr. Slaybock looked at Dad and Mom and said, “Ken, I know you have your spiritual house in order, it’s time to set the rest of your house in order… This will not be a lengthy battle… The treatments haven’t worked… You have an aggressive form of lymphoma… I’m not God, but I want to make you aware of what we know…”

How do you deal with that kind of news?

Most people, including and especially myself, would fall apart, get angry, hurl questions at God, or drift into depression. Not Dad.

Dad and Mom got in the car. Dad looked at Mom and said, “Well, that wasn’t the news I wanted to hear… What will I tell my boys?”

In the aftermath of hearing that, barring a miracle from God, the expiration date on his life was just around the corner, Dad's first thoughts were not about himself, but for the people he loved…

Mom said, “You’ll tell them the truth…”

Some days are etched permanently in your memory. For me, June 20, 2008 will be one of those days. I had been praying that morning for a good report. I had been anxiously waiting for Dad's phone call.

Dad called all four of his sons personally. He was emotional, but his faith was strong.

After calling his boys, Dad called his sister, Shirley. He wanted to meet with his family - his brothers and sisters… He wanted them to hear him share the news himself. So on Friday evening, June 20, 2008 Dad met with his family…

Two days later, on June 22, 2008 he preached his last sermon to Watts Bar Church of God.

Whether talking with his boys, his family or his church, this was the basic content of all those conversations:

“I am the Lord’s… I know God heals… I know He does miracles…
But if God chooses not to do a miracle; whether I live or die, I am the Lord’s…
It’s alright… I have a sense of peace…”


If you were around Dad at all over the last few months, you saw a man who demonstrated incredible courage, faith, strength and peace

Sometimes strength doesn't come wrapped up in muscle, bone, brawn and stature. Sometimes it rests quietly in the spirit and soul of a man who knows that his strength is in God.

Regardless of what was going on in Dad's life physically, he never complained. He never questioned. He walked with a sense of grace and peace…

Even in his final days, after he became immobile and strength had left his body, whenever someone walked into his room and asked, “How are you doing?” Dad would always find a way to answer: “I’m doing good…”

The last week of Dad's life was especially brutal. Saturday, August 23 was the last day Dad would be able to get out of the bed. He barely made it back into bed.

By Wednesday morning, his strength was completely gone. My mom was the primary caregiver. Me and my brothers helped as needed.

On Wednesday morning, me and my brother, Kasey were in the room with Mom, attempting to roll Dad over on his side, hoping this would help him rest… I looked at Dad and said, “Hey Dad. We’re going to roll you over and try to make you more comfortable…”

My Dad has always had a sarcastic sense of humor. He had one of those moments… He just looked at me and started laughing… It was almost like he was saying, “More comfortable? Are you out of your mind? There’s nothing ‘comfortable’ about this.”

“I have fought the good fight…”


I have kept the faith

“Keeping faith” was a Jewish expression for loyalty, faithfulness, character or integrity…

My Dad knew how “keep the faith.”

One of the greatest gifts he gave me was his faithfulness to my mom and his wife of 44 years.

Another gift he gave me was his faithfulness to God over the last 43+ years

Another gift? 25 years of faithful service to this local church>.

I have fought the good fight…I have kept the faith…I have finished the race…


On Thursday morning, August 28 at just a few minutes before 8 Dad finished the race. Throughout his life my Dad taught by example. He lived what he believed.

Tomorrow, I'll finish up by sharing the fourth principle.

No comments: