Sunday, September 5, 2010

why joy is possible - Extended Notes

why joy is possible
philippians: finding joy in a broken world – Part 1
Extended Message Notes from September 5, 2010


“Fundamentally sound, sure-fire, top five components” for happiness:
1. Be in possession of the basics: food, shelter, good health, safety
2. Get enough sleep.
3. Have relationships that matter to you.
4. Take compassionate care of others and of yourself…
5. Have work or an interest that engages you…
~ Amy Bloom, New York Times, February 2, 2010


Problem: Most of the people on this planet can’t meet this criteria... The Apostle Paul didn’t meet this criteria…


Paul's Bio:

2 Corinthians 6:4-10 (NLT), In everything we do we try to show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind. 5 We have been beaten, been put in jail, faced angry mobs, worked to exhaustion, endured sleepless nights, and gone without food. 6 We have proved ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, our sincere love, and the power of the Holy Spirit. 7 We have faithfully preached the truth. God’s power has been working in us. We have righteousness as our weapon, both to attack and to defend ourselves. 8 We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors. 9 We are well known, but we are treated as unknown. We live close to death, but here we are, still alive. We have been beaten within an inch of our lives. 10 Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We own nothing, and yet we have everything.

2 Corinthians 11:23-30 (NLT), I have worked harder, been put in jail more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 24 Five different times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. 26 I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the stormy seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be Christians but are not. 27 I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights. Often I have been hungry and thirsty and have gone without food. Often I have shivered with cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.
28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of how the churches are getting along.



Joy Defined:
Joy is a deep, abiding sense and the confident expectation that God is with me, that God is for me, and that our sovereign God is working everything together for my ultimate good and His great glory!


“Joy in Philippians is a defiant, ‘Nevertheless!’” ~ Karl Barth


John 15:11 (NIV), “ I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”

“Happiness turns up more or less where you would expect it to – a good marriage, a rewarding job, a pleasant vacation. Joy, on the other hand, is notoriously unpredictable…” ~ Frederick Buechner

John 10:10b (NIV), I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.


“To miss out on joy is to miss out on the reason for your existence.” ~ Lewis Smedes

“Joy is the serious business of heaven.” ~ C.S. Lewis

“What is the chief end of man?”
“The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.”

~ Westminster Catechism


“Spiritual joy is: The settled conviction that God sovereignly controls the events of life for the believers’ good and His glory. Spiritual joy is not an attitude dependent on chance or circumstance. It is the deep and abiding confidence that regardless of one’s circumstances in life, all is well between the believer and the Lord. No matter what difficulty, pain, disappointment, failure, rejection, or other challenge one is facing, genuine joy remains because of that eternal well being established by God’s grace in salvation… Scripture makes it clear that the fullest, most lasting and satisfying joy is derived from a true relationship with God. It is not based on circumstances or chance, but is the gracious and permanent possession of every child of God.” ~ John MacArthur


Why Joy Is Possible:

1. Because joy is a gift from God.

Psalm 4:7-8 (NLT), You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.

Psalm 16:11 (ESV), You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.


2. Because I can count on the unchanging character of God.

Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NLT), Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! 19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer’s able to tread upon the heights.

Psalm 16:8, I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices…

Psalm 68:1 (NAS), Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered, and let those who hate Him flee before Him.

Psalm 68:3-6 (NLT), But let the godly rejoice. Let them be glad in God's presence. Let them be filled with joy.


3. Because of what Jesus Christ accomplished for me on the cross.

Romans 5:6-8 (NLT), When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. 7 Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. 8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

Romans 5:9-11 (ESV), Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.


4. Because the Holy Spirit is constantly at work in me and He refuses to give up on me.

Romans 14:17 (ESV), For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23a (NLT), But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control…

2 Corinthians 3:18 (ESV), And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.


5. Because there is no end to the spiritual blessings that are available to me in Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:3 (NLT), All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.


6. Because I can bank on the providence of our great God. Even when I can’t see it, God is always with me. He is always for me, and He always works everything together for my ultimate good and His great glory.

Romans 8:28 (NLT), And we know that God causes everything to work togethers for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.


7. Because all the junk that happens earth side can’t compare to the future glory waiting! The best really is yet to come!

Romans 5:2b (ESV), …we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

Romans 8:18 (KJV), I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Jude 24-25 (NLT), Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault.


8. Because of the miracle of answered prayer.

John 16:24b (ESV), Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.


9. Because of the life-changing power of the Word of God.

Psalm 19:8 (NLT), The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart.

Jeremiah 15:16 (ESV), Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart…

1 John 1:4 (NKJ), …these things we write to you that your joy may be full.


10. Because of the God-honoring, life-giving, deep level relationships God has placed in my life.

Philippians 1:6-7 (NLT), And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
7 So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart.


Philippians 4:1 (NLT), Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stay true to the Lord. I love you and long to see you, dear friends, for you are my joy and the crown I receive for my work.


Joy Defined:
Joy is a deep, abiding sense and the confident expectation that God is with me, that God is for me, and that our sovereign God is working everything together for my ultimate good and His great glory!

No comments: