Sunday, October 31, 2010

SUNDAY NIGHT REFLECTIONS - 10-31-10

This morning was one of our “all church, all in, family style” worship experiences at a2 Church. Periodically, approximately four to six times every year, we intentionally design a worship experience for the entire family. We then invite children Grades 1 and up to join their parents in the worship room for this special worship experience.

One of our big desires at a2 Church is to partner with parents in their attempt to lay a spiritual foundation in the lives of kids that will in God’s timing and in God’s way lead every child into a personal relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ.

We believe that modeling is crucial in the discipleship process. It’s important that children see their parents engaged in worship and in receiving the taught Word of God.

Worship this morning was upbeat and included the following:

Sing, Sing, Sing by Chris Tomlin
Marvelous Light by Christy Nockels
Forever Reign by Hillsong

After prayer, fellowship and announcements, the band also covered one item number…

Rejoice by Audio Adrenlaline

We followed up our worship experience with a special "Trunk and Treat" in the parking area! Great time with parents and their family!

Awesome day!

Here are the extended notes from this morning’s message and the closer on our series from Philippians. As always, you can check out our podcast on the a2 Church website or via iTunes by typing "a2 Church" into the iTunes search engine.


Old Dogs, No Tricks, Just Lasting Joy EXTENDED NOTES
Philippians: Finding Joy in a Broken World – Part 9

Text: Philippians 4:10-23

Philippians 4:10-23, How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.
15 As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first brought you the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. 16 Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once. 17 I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness.
18 At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.
21 Greet all the saints in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send greetings. 22 All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar's household. 

23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.



Some Marks of Maturity:
(Borrowed from Chuck Swindoll in his book, Laugh Again, with “tweaks” by Chris Goins…)

A person is becoming more mature…

• When our concern for others outweighs our concern for ourselves…
• When we discern the presence of evil, temptation or danger before it’s obvious…
• When we begin to develop and grow in wisdom and understanding, not just knowledge…
• When our emotions are tempered by a sense of responsibility, diligence and the desire to be thorough…
• When our awareness of needs is matched by our compassion and willingness to jump in and get involved…
• When we have a willingness to change and repent, especially as the Holy Spirit nudges or convicts us and gives us a leading that we need to follow…
• When we are growing in our ability to feed ourselves the Word of God through the regular intake of Scripture, and we’re also commitment to hearing the Word of God taught in the context of being part of a Bible believing church…
• When we have more than great ideas, but we also have the discipline to carry them out and get things done…
• When we not only understand what needs to be done, but we have the fortitude, diligence, commitment and determination to stay with it until it gets done…



“Maturity is the ability to do a job whether you are supervised or not; finish a job once it’s started; carry money without spending it. And last, but not least, the ability to bear an injustice without the need to get even.” ~ Fred Cook


THOUGHT: An incredible picture of this definition is contained in the book, Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Suess. The key phrase that appears in the book over and over again reads as follows:

“I meant what I said,
and I said what I mean…
An elephant’s faithful
One hundred percent!”

~ Horton the Elephant, Dr. Suess

Eventually, Horton’s faithfulness, loyalty and commitment, not only influences his life, but it influences the egg that he has faithfully sat on for the last 51 weeks!

THOUGHTS: The book of Philippians is about growing up, becoming mature and maintaining your joy throughout the journey…

Regardless of what Paul experienced, he refused to be caught in the grip of pessimism and allow his circumstances to determine or define his sense of JOY…

Our Definition for Joy: “Joy is a deep, abiding sense and the confident expectation that God is with me, that God is for me, and that our sovereign God is working everything together for my ultimate good and His great glory!”


Joy That Goes The Distance:

1. Be alert when it comes to recognizing and affirming the good you see in the people around you.

THOUGHTS: One of the really amazing things about people is that they tend to rise or fall to the level of your expectations… If your expectations are reasonably high, most of the people in your life will be challenged to rise to the occasion… If your expectations are low, you’ll probably get exactly what you’re looking for…

Paul challenged the church at Philippi to become all that God intended for them to become…

He affirmed them relentlessly… Encouragement and affirmation show up all throughout this letter…


Philippians 4:10 (NLT), How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn’t have the chance to help me.

Philippians 4:14-17, …you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.
15 As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first brought you the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. 16 Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once.


Philippians 1:3 (NLT), Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.

Philippians 1:6 (ESV), …being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:7 (ESV), It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart…


2. Learn the secret of being content.

Philippians 4:11-12 (NIV), I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.


Contentment Defined: Contentment is an abiding peace and bold confidence in God and the sufficiency in Christ we can experience regardless of our circumstances….

Two Major Secrets to a Contented Life:

• Avoid comparisons.

Philippians 4:11b (NIV), …I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Philippians 4:11b (AMP), I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.

Proverbs 14:30 (NIV), A heart at peace gives life to the body, 
but envy rots the bones.


• Be flexible and adjust to change.

Philippians 4:12 (NIV), I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.


3. Be confident! God’s power really is at work in you and through you.

Philippians 4:13 (ESV), I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

THOUGHT: God promises power to anyone who will simply and humbly ask.

Isaiah 40:29-30 (ESV), He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. 30 Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; 31 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.


THOUGHT: God's power is mentioned throughout the book of Philippians.

Philippians 1:6 (NIV), …being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:12b-13 (ESV), …work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Philippians 3:10 (NLT), I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead.

Philippians 4:13 (AMP), I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency].


4. Always rely on the promises of God.

Philippians 4:19 (ESV), And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Joy Defined: “Joy is a deep, abiding sense and the confident expectation that God is with me, that God is for me, and that our sovereign God is working everything together for my ultimate good and His great glory!”

No comments: