Saturday, April 12, 2008

ANCIENT WISDOM FOR CURRENT AND FUTURE LEADERS

As Israel stands on the edge of Canaan and Moses communicates his final instructions before walking off into the sunset and handing over the reigns of leadership to Joshua, God gives some crucial instructions to Israel’s future kings and leaders.

Reading through this passage today caused me to wonder how different the leadership and legacy of a lot of Israel’s kings would have turned out had they taken these words to heart… It also convicted me about my own leadership…

Deuteronomy 17:14-16 (NLT), "You will soon arrive in the land the LORD your God is giving you, and you will conquer it and settle there. Then you may begin to think, 'We ought to have a king like the other nations around us.' 15 If this happens, be sure that you select as king the man the LORD your God chooses. You must appoint a fellow Israelite, not a foreigner. 16 The king must not build up a large stable of horses for himself, and he must never send his people to Egypt to buy horses there, for the LORD has told you, 'You must never return to Egypt.'

The Message paraphrases Verse 16, “…make sure he doesn't build up a war machine, amassing military horses and chariots.”

God wanted Israel to trust Him for their protection, not some huge army with the latest technology and the greatest number of tanks. Maybe this explains why God got so ticked at David when he ordered a census? (1 Chronicles 21) It was the revelation of a proud heart, a heart that refused to trust in God and instead relied on it own strength, military prowess and political savvy.

Deuteronomy 17:17-20 (NLT), The king must not take many wives for himself, because they will lead him away from the LORD.

I think God has always wanted his leaders to be “one woman men.” God knew there was no “oneness” in polygamy, only lust.

The New Testament gives similar instructions to the elders in God’s church. 1 Timothy 3:2 says that an elder must be “…the husband of one wife.” Most scholars agree the phrase can actually be translated, “…a one woman man.”

A leader’s commitment to and fidelity in marriage provides him with the moral credibility to lead others… Recent headlines provide larger than life examples of what happens when a leader blows it in the area of faithfulness in marriage… A powerful governor resigns in shame… An incoming governor spends the first few days in office explaining his past…

Countless leaders have had their leadership lives derailed all because they couldn’t discipline this aspect of their lives…

David paid a huge price for his affair with Bathsheba. And Solomon... Well, this guy made Gene’s Simmons sexual exploits look like kindergarten stuff.

Here’s the problem: David and Solomon’s sexual exploits and marital infidelity not only cost them, it cost Israel – BIG TIME.

Temptation in this area is off the charts for most American men. Maybe we need to make the same commitment and covenant that Job made and then pray for God’s grace to walk it out…

Job 31:1 (MSG), I made a solemn pact with myself never to undress a girl with my eyes.

The NIV reads, “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl.”

God’s instructions to Israel’s future leaders continues…

Deuteronomy 17:17b (NLT), And he must not accumulate vast amounts of wealth in silver and gold for himself.

Wow! Why have we so BLOWN IT when it comes to this plain instruction? This verse ISN'T hard to understand. Leadership isn't about getting rich off of the people we lead… It’s about servanthood, not wealth and power…

From the get go, God wanted his leaders to check their motives, to walk in humility and to serve their constituency; not walk over their backs in order to make a buck…

When I read of “Christian leaders” who live the extravagant lifestyles of the rich and famous and do so on the backs of people who willingly entrust their resources to them, my heart breaks… God has always challenged His leaders to lifestyles of simplicity and service…

But maybe the most important piece of what God said to Israel’s future leaders is wrapped up in Verses 18-20.

Deuteronomy 17:18-20 (NLT), "When he sits on the throne as king, he must copy these laws on a scroll for himself in the presence of the Levitical priests. 19 He must always keep this copy of the law with him and read it daily as long as he lives. That way he will learn to fear the LORD his God by obeying all the terms of this law. 20 This regular reading will prevent him from becoming proud and acting as if he is above his fellow citizens. It will also prevent him from turning away from these commands in the smallest way. This will ensure that he and his descendants will reign for many generations in Israel."

Wow! This is wraps everything up… God looked at Israel’s future leaders and said: “Guys… Guys… If you want to lead well, then immerse yourself in my WORD… Be such a serious student of the Word that you hand write yourself a personal copy… Oh, and by the way, do it in the presence of the priests… Because I know the tendency of the human heart to leave out stuff you don’t really like… Read my word daily, as long as you live... You’ll be amazed at how my Word prepares you to meet the challenges of your world… In fact, my word is your only shot at being the kind of man who can walk in humility and serve with character… So make my word the centerpiece of your leadership life.”

This is crucial stuff.

I was convicted when I read these verses this morning… Convicted because sometimes I rely on my strength instead of God’s. I build personal strategies, instead of trusting God’s power. Convicted because I need to make certain I devote more time to developing a great marriage… (No, I’m not into polygamy... Thank God. One wife is plenty enough for me. But I don’t always give my marriage the time and attention it deserves. Sometimes I even allow ministry to become my mistress.) Convicted because I need to pursue humility and resist pride. Convicted because sometimes I neglect God’s Word, when in reality, His Word is my life… Without being rooted and grounded in God's Word, my leadership doesn't stand a chance... Yet, sometimes I let the busyness of my personal schedule, keep me from time in God's Word.

Ouch!

What about you? What are the greatest challenges you face in leadership? What are you asking God to do in your life as a leader?

No comments: