Sunday, August 1, 2010

GOD REIGNS Extended Notes

UNSHAKABLE - Part 10

I'm so humbled by what God is doing at a2 Church... Summer has been an exciting time of growth! I've been blown away by what God is doing...

It also feels like God is growing us as a worshiping community of believers. This morning the corporate worship experience was amazing!

Here's the set list:

Let God Arise (Chris Tomlin cover)
Awesome God (Free Chapel / Ricardo Sanchez cover)
Mighty to Save (Hillsong cover)
God Reigns (Lincoln Brewster cover)
Revelation Song (Gateway Worship / Kari Jobe cover)

I love hearing our people sing and this morning they sang with such passion! Wow!


This morning we also wrapped up the series UNSHAKABLE with an overview of Revelation. Here are the extended notes from that message. Check out the podcast on a2's website at a2church.org or iTunes.

God Reigns Extended Notes
UNSHAKABLE - Part 10

August 1, 2010 * Chris Goins


When it comes to the book of Revelation, people usually drift towards one of two extremes. Both are unhealthy…

1. Extreme #1: The “Prophetic Jigsaw Puzzle” Approach.

“Though St. John saw many strange monsters in his vision, he saw no creature so wild as one of his own commentators.” ~ G.K. Chesterton


2. Extreme #2: The “Avoid It At All Costs” Approach.


Four Reasons To Read Revelation

1.) It’s In The Bible.

2 Timothy 3:16, “All Scripture is inspired by God and useful to teach us…”


2.) It Carries A Special Blessing.

Revelation 1:3, Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.


3.) It reminds us that God is sovereign. He is large and in charge.


4.) It’s all about Jesus!

Revelation 1:1a, 3 (NIV), The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. 3…because the time is near.

Revelation 1:12-18 (NLT), When I turned to see who was speaking to me, I saw seven gold lampstands. 13 And standing in the middle of the lampstands was the Son of Man. He was wearing a long robe with a gold sash across his chest. 14 His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And his eyes were bright like flames of fire. 15 His feet were as bright as bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves. 16 He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth. And his face was as bright as the sun in all its brilliance.
17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”



When You Feel Like You’re At The End:

1. I’m never in a place where the love of Jesus can’t find me.

Revelation 1:9 (NAS), I, John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.


2. My circumstances are never so severe that the Holy Spirit can’t change my perspective.

Revelation 1:10 (NAS), I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet…


3. It’s not over until Jesus writes the end of my story.

Revelation 1:8 (NIV), “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Revelation 1:19 (NLT), Write down what you have seen…


4. Fear and anxiety don’t have to dominate my life. Jesus is closer and more powerful than I can imagine.

Revelation 1:12-13 (NLT), When I turned to see who was speaking to me, I saw seven gold lampstands. 13 And standing in the middle of the lampstands was the Son of Man.

Revelation 1:17 NIV), When I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”


5. Everything in my world can fall apart, but Jesus provides absolute security.

Revelation 1:15 (NIV), His feet were as bright as bronze refined in a furnace…


6. I’m never lost or forgotten, Jesus holds me in His right hand.

Revelation 1:16 (NLT), He held seven stars in his right hand…

Revelation 1:17 (NLT), When I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. But he laid his right hand on me…

1 comment:

Cammie Novara said...

"It also feels like God is growing us as a worshiping community of believers." I can completely relate to that from personal experience.