Wednesday, January 9, 2008

IT'S HARD

Luke 6:27-36 (NLT), “But if you are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. 28 Pray for the happiness of those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other cheek. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also. 30 Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don’t try to get them back. 31 Do for others as you would like them to do for you.
32 “Do you think you deserve credit merely for loving those who love you? Even the sinners do that! 33 And if you do good only to those who do good to you, is that so wonderful? Even sinners do that much! 34 And if you lend money only to those who can repay you, what good is that? Even sinners will lend to their own kind for a full return.
35 “Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them! And don’t be concerned that they might not repay. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked. 36 You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.



Do you ever read the New Testament and think to yourself, “Yeah, right?”

This is one of those verses for me.

One problem. Jesus not only said it, He lived it!

This list of people who hurt him reads like a NYC phone book… His response? “Father, forgive them, they don’t know what they’re doing.”

The man who had available to him all power in heaven and earth and with one word could have body-slammed every critic and contender; patiently endured being spat on, beaten, nailed to a cross and publicly humiliated.

He never once retaliated. He never played “get even” mind games. Even after his resurrection, when he had the opportunity to completely humiliate the people who had betrayed him; he extended grace, reached out in love and gave people a second, third and fourth chance…

Unfortunately, I can’t say the same thing about me. There are some emotional bumps and bruises that I have an easy time overlooking. I can extend grace to the person who “dings the door” of my emotional life. But the guy or gal who emotionally crashes into me, leaving me emotionally blown to smithereens? Well, that’s a different story.

I entertain sweet thoughts of revenge. I rehearse in my head what I’ll say to the person the next time I see them. It’s always so good. I always walk away from that imaginary conversation looking so stinkin’ smart, and leaving them reeling with the profound nature of my thoughts…

I secretly long for something bad to happen to them… Not bodily harm, mind you… But a visit from an IRS Agent? Maybe…

I hate to admit it, but I’ve even entertained some of these thoughts recently… Then this morning I open the Bible, read these words, and the crushing weight of my sinful attitude is exposed… Don’t you just love the way Jesus can do that?

In Luke 6 Jesus reminds me that loving, liking, being kind and compassionate to people who love, like, and are kind and compassionate to me is elementary. Everybody does it. Even Marilyn Manson.

But extending grace, love and mercy to the people who have hurt, criticized and ran smack over the top of me? Well, that’s something only Jesus could do. And me? I can only do it, if I’m allowing Jesus to live in and through me…

So, if you’ve been wounded, hurt, stepped on or betrayed. Here are some steps you can take towards walking out Luke 6.

Admit That You’ve Been Hurt.

Don’t say, “Oh, it wasn’t a big deal… It didn’t really matter…” It did matter! It was a big deal! Admit you’ve been hurt.

Hold The Person Accountable For Hurting You.

So many victims of abuse get stuck in a mindset that says, “I had it coming… It was really MY fault…” No, it wasn’t! Hold the person accountable for hurting you!

Remember The Extravagant Grace and Forgiveness That God Has Poured Out On You.

Psalm 103:12 says, “...as far as the east is from the west, that’s how far God has removed our sins from us…” Micah 7:19 says that God has taken our sins and “…hurled them into the depths of the sea.”

Focus your heart and attention on God’s extravagant grace… Revel in mercy and forgiveness!

If It’s Possible and Profitable, Go To The Person Who Hurt You.

Sometimes it’s just not possible… In some cases, the person may already be deceased or geographically too far removed for you to go to them physically… Sometimes it just not profitable… There are some levels of betrayal and abuse where a personal encounter would not be helpful. But if it is possible and profitable, go to the person. If necessary, take somebody with you…

Love and Forgive Them In The Same Way God Has Forgiven You.

This is REAL IMPORTANT. Forgiveness is not about saying, “It didn’t really happen…” It did happen! Here’s what forgiveness is: Forgiveness is about giving up the right to get even… It’s about you breaking free from the event that has locked you in an emotional and spiritual prison.


A few years ago Rich Mullins wrote a song called, “Hard.” The transparency in his lyrics is touching.

Lord, it's hard to turn the other cheek
Hard to bless when others curse you
Oh Lord, it's hard to be a man of peace
Lord, it's hard, oh it's hard,


He’s right. I can’t possibly do it in my own strength, but because of Jesus, I can extend grace, offer forgiveness and LIVE FREE. So for me, it’s back to walking out this “Yeah, right” Scripture from Luke 6…


Worth Checking Out:

Hard by Rich Mullins from the CD, “A Liturgy, A Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band”

No comments: