Wednesday, January 2, 2008

THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME

Yesterday I read these words from the book of James.

“Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.” (James 1:2-3, The Message)

According to James “tests” and “challenges” are a gift. When was the last time you thought of a challenge or problem as a gift? Most of the time, I view my challenges and problems as a nuisance. They’re just down right frustrating and annoying.

But sometimes the challenges I face pack such a punch, that they’re more than simply frustrating; they’re exhausting, discouraging and even seem to push my faith to its very limit.

Ever been there? If not, you can pretty much bank on the fact that this kind of challenge is somewhere around the corner…

The past several months have been filled with some “super-sized” challenges. Not just for Janet, the girls, and me, but also for friends and family members we deeply love.

In September 2007, my dad’s kidneys stopped functioning normally. He’s been on dialysis and his body doesn’t always respond well to the treatments.

As most of you know, in late September Janet and I felt “released” from our ministry as Senior Pastor of Metro Church. We took a leap of faith and stepped out believing that God would direct our steps. For three months, we’ve waited and waited and waited… We’ve prayed, listened, read, studied and waited. There have been several times when I’ve wished there was an “Easy Button” like the one made famous in the Staples ads. It doesn’t exist…

But I do keep tripping over this passage from James. If it’s not enough for James to say, “Consider it a sheer gift, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides…” yesterday I was nailed by what James says in Verse 4.

“So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.” (James 1:4, The Message)

I had hoped that by January 2008, I would have clarity on what the next step of ministry looks like… I had hoped that I wouldn’t still carry this inner “ache” and longing that sometimes almost completely overwhelms me… I had hoped that God would write on a wall, speak in an audible voice, blast a hole in the sea, make a way through the wilderness or just send a letter to the house. Nope! Instead, what I’ve received has been just enough grace sufficient for each day.

And whenever I start to get a little “antsy” because things aren’t coming together as quickly as I had imagined they would, I get a word like this from James 1:4.

“…don’t try to get out of anything prematurely…”

Evidently, my timetable isn't God’s timetable. Furthermore, James even goes on to say…

“Let [every challenge and problem you experience] do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”

In other words, God’s ultimate desire for my life and your life, as well, isn’t that life be comfortable and easy. It’s that Jesus Christ be formed in us… That our faith and character become “mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”

In the mean time, God says, “…whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy… Count it as a sheer gift… Know that I’m developing character and maturity in your life… This process will ultimately pay off… Your faith will be stronger… Your joy will be deeper… Your character will shine…”

Not necessarily the message I want to hear, but the message I NEED to hear… So, with all of that said, “What’s going on with the Goins’ family?” Well, we’re still waiting! We’re still praying and believing that in God’s timing and God’s way He’ll reveal the next step and “the shape of things to come.” And in the mean time, we’re doing what we know to do….

Here’s a glimpse of what we’re doing right now:


MINISTRY SCHEDULE FOR JANUARY 2008:

WEEKLY BIBLE STUDIES

TUESDAY EVENING BIBLE STUDY
Every Tuesday Evening * Begins January 8 * 6:30 PM

THURSDAY EVENING BIBLE STUDY
Every Thursday Evening * Begins January 10 * 6:30 PM

Study: TRUE FAITH - A Study in the Book of James
Location: Home of Chris and Janet Goins (Tuesday and Thursday PM)
328 Stone Brook Circle * Birmingham, AL * 35226
205.979.3633


WEDNESDAY EVENING BIBLE STUDY
Every Wednesday Evening * Begins January 16 * 6:30 PM
TRUSSVILLE AREA
Location: Home of Ron and Deborah Wiggins
7931 Wynwood Road
Trussville, AL 35173


ADDITIONAL MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES:

CORAM DEO
Sunday, January 20 * 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Location: Home of Keith and Marla DeLong
Knoxville, TN

U-CHURCH 234
Lee University Conn Center
Sunday Evening, January 27, 7:30 PM


21 DAYS OF PRAYER AND FASTING
Last year we began the year with a passionate pursuit for the heart of God by dedicating 21 days to prayer and fasting. It was one of the most meaningful experiences we’ve ever had… This year, Janet and I feel a leading to begin 2008 the same way… So, on Saturday, January 5, we will begin another 21-day journey...

Several of you have expressed interest in the 21 Day Fast. I’ve already posted some helpful information on this blog… I


RESOURCES BY CHRIS AND JANET GOINS
If you are interested in messages or teachings by Chris, as well as tools to assist you in your walk with Christ, we will be recording all of our messages and making them available free of charge through our podcast. We’ll keep you updated on when the podcast will be available on I-tunes. CD’s will also be available for a donation of your choice.


WEEKLY BLOG
After experiencing a “hack” on our My Space account, we have decided to establish a “blog” that will allow us to post our thoughts, devotionals, ministry activities, etc. without all of the “distractions” and potential “hacks” that come with a My Space account. You can check our blog out at: .

We’ll be updating our blog on a periodic basis. Save it as a “favorite” or “bookmark” and log on occasionally for a devotional thought, book recommendation, movie review, music review, etc.

3 comments:

jeremyself said...

i may be the first and only person to comment on your blog before you move to a new site...i've heard wordpress is a little more functional...love you, friend. i know God is at work in you and am so glad you're not short-circuiting the process!!

ohAmanda said...

Chris! I got your link from my mom. Just want you to know we've been "following" you via the Lombards. We love you and are praying for you.

Can't wait to read more of your blog!

rejoicejjm said...

Dear Pastor Chris

Troy & I miss you at Metro
Keep us posted on A2

Joyce & Troy Gigis