Wednesday, March 19, 2008

LET THE DEMOLITION BEGIN

Just read this thought provoking post by Tim Sanders.

Tim is an innovative and creative leader. He's also a best selling author and much sought after speaker.

What do you think about Sander's comments? What implications could this perspective have for those of us who "do church?"

Thought provoking stuff. I look forward to reading your responses...

Get The Demo Underway
Tim Sanders

Jacqueline and I are in the middle of some serious home remodeling. For over a year, we’ve spec’d, planned and dreamed about new doors, decks and a studio.

A few weeks ago, the wrecking crew showed up and started doing demolition work. They tore out walls, ripped off siding and carted away debris. While the demo work is unnerving, its also inspiring: Something new is about to be built!

Until the wrecking ball tears something up, all you are doing is talking about change or remodeling or redesign. This applies to your business life too. You can’t do a radical makeover on anything (company or home) unless you are willing to tear down some structures. And you aren’t underway unless the demotion’s done. You see, demotion leads to restoration. It sits there, an ugly hole where something used to be, begging for action (not talking).

No matter how hard it is to get your crew started, once they knock something down they have no choice but to proceed onward. So quit talking about change, and break something! Change something! If you want to rethink your business model, tear up your mission statement or take your product off the market.

7 comments:

jeremyself said...

interesting??? sounds like a pretty radical change, rather than "incremental," process-oriented change?? what are your thoughts? you've always been a big advocate of the "process." how does Sander's thoughts affect you in this realm? call me:)

Chris Goins said...

I have been more of a process oriented guy... I'm not certain it ever really worked...

Maybe what's needed today is the courage to face the archaic methods, systems and structures that so well served a previous generation but lack relevance in the present and not attempt to just splash on a new coat of paint and hope for the best...

If the method, system and structure is more about personal preferences, our love and respect for the past, or the "traditions of men" but it isn't helping us pursue the mission of Jesus, a paint brush isn't what's needed. Maybe a demo is not only needed, but actually demanded.

Just thinking...

Micah Andrews said...

I love the line... "just break something". That's where I'm at. I have begun to realize in my own life very recently that there are "things" that need to be broken before any new construction can begin. Funny thing is I thought my "structure" looked pretty good. I even thought the "Master Contractor" had already signed off on it. I guess my love for building things has a new meaning for me and my family today.

Breaking stuff...

Micah

p.s. sorry for the cheese-filled reference of the Almighty as the "Master Contractor" but I just couldn't resist.

Unknown said...

What an exciting time we're living in! It seems everywhere I turn, the Holy Spirit is breaking down and building up. Funny, when I'm in the middle of "deconstruction," I think of it more as painful than exciting. It's only in the "looking back" that I can see how much God's hand was behind (or at least allowed) the wrecking ball to hit my self-built life.

I think one huge area He's breaking down is our reliance on gifts. I meet people every week who share the journey God has had me on for the past few years. It all began with His words to my heart: "I never called you to be gifted--I called you to be fruitful." Uncomfortable words for someone who, for most of her Christian life, has relied on giftedness and what she "did" as a measure of spirituality. (I even thought I could somehow muster up "fruit" on my own.)

Since then, the Spirit has been teaching me that fruit-bearing (love, joy, peace...)starts with Him breaking up places in my soul that have become hardened by pride, unforgiveness (of myself and others), religiousity, etc.

That "breaking up" process is often painful--forcing us to unlearn wrong beliefs and life patterns--and is often agonizingly slow for those of us who want things done an hour ago.

But it's only as He breaks down those hard places that He can plant the seeds of His fruit/His character in me. He's teaching me that all of the above requires the vital, life-giving, life-changing discipline of abiding (John 15).

Chris Goins said...

Thanks, Karen for the important reminder of what God is actually after when we're personally experiencing demolition, change or reconstruction...

jeremyself said...

good thoughts Chris and Micah. I know that is so important that we keep our hearts and minds clean when we talk about this stuff so that we don't become angry at the system--Chris-I think the way you explained that there are
"methods, systems and structures that so well served a previous generation but lack relevance in the present" was done in a very respectful, yet challenging vein.

Another important thing you've noted is that it is indeed "systems" that must change. Since organizational systems create desired or undesired behavior out of people, the behavior can not simply change; the entire system must!

Great interaction on this post.

Karen: thanks for sharing what God's up to in your life!

Unknown said...

As I read your comments, a little voice inside reminds me of a quote by Thomas Jefferson..."Every generation needs a new revolution."

Revolutions tend to be such radical and disruptive events. However, the attitude of a revolutionary is one of aggressive pursuit of a vision for God given dreams. It's a powerful element that can drive a movement through some pretty though obstacles...like tradition. Maybe they are an important part of the "process."

Uncomfortable as they may be, they keep us in a posture of pursuit of what we hope to be.

If your not dreaming about a better future, how can you go out and live the biggest possible life you can live?