Thursday, March 6, 2008

NOT AN EX-PASTOR


In his book, The Divine Mentor, Wayne Cordeiro, Lead Pastor of New Hope Christian Fellowship in Hawaii, an incredible church that is reaching Hawaii with the gospel o Jesus Christ, describes a period in his life when he was basically ready to “cash in” on ministry.

Cordeiro writes, “I had depleted my system until my body’s chemistry was exhausted. I had lost my vision and my desire to continue. A low-grade depression enveloped me like a black cloud…”

He thought about early retirement. He was open to any reasonable job offer. He struggled to continue preaching and ministry stuff… Then one day, during his daily devotions, God spoke to him through the story of Jeremiah.

As you know, Jeremiah had been ridiculed, rejected, disregarded, and ostracized. He was surrounded by hopelessness and unbelief.

Listen to Jeremiah’s confession:

“People scoff at me and say, ‘What is this ‘message from the Lord’ you talk about? Why don’t your predictions come true?’” (Jeremiah 17:15)

Like Wayne, Jeremiah was at wit’s end… But then, as if he had found some kind of inner resolve or determination that lifted his spirit and filled him with courage, Jeremiah looked to God and made this statement. It’s an incredible statement, especially for those who have ever felt “stretched”, discouraged and maybe even considered hanging the whole ministry deal up…

“Lord, I have not abandoned my job as a shepherd for your people.” (Jeremiah 17:16)

Even though Jeremiah felt rejected and alone, somehow He remained steadfast in his calling.

When Wayne Cordeiro read that statement it was like Jeremiah was speaking directly to him, saying something like this:

“[Wayne], you can leave if you want to. But I’m not going to be in a hurry. God called me to be a shepherd. Now, I might be a sick shepherd or a hurting shepherd, but I’m not an ex-shepherd. You can do what you want to, [Wayne], but as for me, I’m staying with the program.”

Wow!

Wayne stayed. The rest is history. New Hope is now one of the nations fastest growing churches, with a weekend attendance of more than 12,000 people. Yeah, God!

Are you thinking about cashing your ministry in? Think again. You may be a lot of things, but you’re not an ex-pastor, ex-worship leader, ex-small group leader, etc. Remember:

Romans 11:29 (NLT), For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.

Amen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You readin my mail again? Lets do that get together next week with the fams!

Jonathan Stone said...

Pastor Chris, thanks so much. That is a very encouraging word. I can identify with both Wayne and Jeremiah! This really ministered to me today.

thewayworship said...

Hi Chris,

We started The Way Church about a year ago, and it started at the new movie theater in town. There were many advantages and disadvantages, but good news! We are now moving into the old movie theater which had been abandoned. It was renovated before they closed and has new carpet and new seats in four huge theaters. It's exciting that we have the building all to ourselves and don't have the set up and tear down. Praise God! Please keep us in your prayers. We launch there Easter Sunday, and we are trusting Him help us reach our city for His glory.

God bless,
Rachel Elvis

Aaron Hoover said...

Hey Chris,
Just wanted to let you know that love you and I'm praying for your family. Your blog continues to be a highlight of my week. Thanks for your example!