Monday, December 29, 2008

BEST MOVIES OF 2008

Okay, if you know me, you know I love a GREAT MOVIE. Here are my picks for the best movies of ’08. Sound off. What did you see in '08 that you absolutely loved. I would love to read your picks.

Best Movies of 2008

Dark Knight
You can check out my review of the movie by clicking HERE. It’s now available on DVD and is so well written, artful and complex that it’s worth seeing more than once. It’s my pick for best movie of the year.

Slumdog Millionaire
Check out my review of the movie by clicking HERE. It may be the most beautiful and uplifting movie of the year. It’s themes of divine providence, hope and resilient love in spite of unbelievable circumstances touched me deeply.

Wall-E

Check out my review by clicking HERE. Here are a few of the words I used to describe this Pixar flick: Beautiful. Hope-filled. Touching. Meaningful. Timeless. Redemptive. Yes, it’s that good.

Ironman
One of the best comic book to film movies to date. Perfect casting. Solid writing. A fun flick. I wrote about the movie HERE.

Quantum of Solace
I’m not a “Bond” guy. I’ve never really enjoyed any of the Bond flicks. But I really enjoyed this flick. Daniel Craig presents a tougher, grittier, and yes, more violent version of Bond. I was thoroughly entertained.

U2 3D
The first live action movie to be shot, produced and screened exclusively with 3-D technology. As a “work of art” it is amazing! Read more of my thoughts by clicking HERE.

Penelope
This modern fairy tale about learning to accept yourself is beautiful and very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Body of Lies
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, this action flick from director Ridley Scott focuses on matters of treachery and deceit in the “intelligence” community. I found the story, acting and direction compelling. Warning: The language is pervasive and strong.

Changeling
Clint Eastwood may be one of the most talented actor / directors out there. It’s also incredible to see him “peaking” at this point in his career. The story is haunting, sad and yet compelling. Angelina Jolie delivers a powerful performance. John Malkovich is excellent.

Valkryie
Great story telling from director Bryan Singer. An excellent World War II thriller that grabs you by the throat and doesn’t let go until you’re almost to the closing credits. I’m glad they didn’t alter the ending of this true story and give it a “Hollywood” spin. Tom Cruise stars as Claus von Stauffenberg, a guy who reminds us of the truth that the “only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

Honorable Mentions:
Appaloosa
The Bucket List
Kung Fu Panda
The Boy In Striped Pajamas


Movies I’ve Yet To See But Have Great Buzz:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Seven Pounds
Grand Torino
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Marley and Me



Worst Movies of 2008
Here are a few movies that make my “worst of” list for ’08.

10,000 BC
One word: BORING.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Come on, now? Indiana Jones and aliens. I know Spielberg and Lucas have more to offer than this…

Tropic Thunder
Convicted that I actually watched this movie. It has absolutely NO redemptive value and I found myself repenting for attempting to check it out.

X Files: I Want To Believe
As a fan of the television show, I found this one of the worst written, acted and directed movies I’ve ever seen.

Burn After Reading
I checked this movie out based upon incredible reviews by the critics. Once again, I found myself deeply convicted for watching this exercise in vulgarity and stupidity. I’ve been a fan of the Coen brothers and usually find their movies to be intelligent and well written. Somehow they blew it with this one.

The Happening
I’m a huge M. Night Shyamalan fan. I even liked “Lady In The Water.” But M. Night blew it with this one. Not very well written, acted or directed. A huge disappointment from one of my favorite directors.


I would love to read your picks for 2008 - Best and Worst.

4 comments:

Shannon Johnson said...

Love your pics and agree with most too!
We LOVED - I am Legend, 21, Hulk, Ironman
We also liked non-mainstream movies like - Lars and the real girl (late 2007 I think but we saw it in 2008), Juno, Son of Rambow (see it), Spiderwick, Kite Runner.

DID NOT ENJOY - Be Kind Rewind (waste of my braincells), There will be blood, No country for old men, Leatherheads (disappointingly boring)

Embarrassed to say that we laughed our heads off at Baby Mama....what that says...I don't know.

Unknown said...

Shannon, thanks so much for the thoughts... I will check out Son of Rambow and Kite Runner. I've heard good things about both and look forward to seeing them. In fact, I've got Kite Runner at home now... Will watch over the next couple of days.

Also, loved "I Am Legend", "Hulk" and "Spiderwick." "Juno" was one of the most pro life movies I remember ever seeing.

On the other had, I did enjoy the quirkiness of "Be Kind Rewind." Interesting perspective on community art. And "No Country For Old Men" made my top ten list last year.

Thanks so much for sharing. Love the feedback.

renee9268 said...

I don't see alot of movies, but I will post a few that I have seen. Some of them may not have come out this year but I did see them this year.

-- Fireproof
-- The Dark Knight -- Heath Leger....WOW -- he ROCKED. I figured it would be difficult to beat Jack Nicholson as the Joker but when I saw this, Jack just didn't even come close to Heath's performance. Heath was so dark, yet was so funny at times. I almost lost it when he was the nurse!!
-- The Pursuit of Happyness
-- Evan Almighty (or was that in 2007....I've lost track of time!!)
-- Wall-E -- I thought this was quite political, myself, but still pretty cute.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up on "Fireproof." I haven't seen it, but my Mom loved it and highly recommended it.