Tuesday, February 3, 2009

KEEPIN' THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

I loved this post by Travis Johnson. An important reminder to make certain we keep the main thing the main thing.


The Main Thing
Travis Johnson, January 27, 2009

It’s human nature to promote projects, things, and ideas that are close to your heart. They may be good. But, that doesn’t mean they are worthy of being promoted by the church. We promote one thing: Jesus. It’s all about Jesus.

At Life Pointe, we won’t:

* Sign petitions for to change something about government.
* Celebrate Simon Bolivar Day.
* Picket against a local Strip Club.
* Distribute Christian Coalition Flyers.
* Tell you how to vote.
* Tell you to drive a Prius.
* Tell you to boycott Disney.
* Sell Green Prosperity Handkerchiefs.

We will keep the focus on Jesus. I want you to buy into Jesus…to drink that kool-aid. Then, let Him change your life…from the inside out and not the outside in.

If in avoiding the thousands of pet projects, forwards, chain letters, and personal appeals that come to me, I somehow become socially oblivious, I can deal with that. I’d rather do that than to forget about Jesus as I’m trying to change the particular behaviors of people who don’t know Him. The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

_____________________________

Thanks for the reminder, Travis... This is exactly how how I feel about a2 Church. It's all about Jesus. It's always about Jesus. It's only about Jesus.

No comments: