Monday, February 16, 2009

SUNDAY IN REVIEW 02.15.09

I hate long weekends! Yeah, I hate 'em. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't a pastor and didn't feel like so much was riding on every Sunday, I would probably love 'em. Get away with the kids. Sleep in. Do something different. You get the picture.

But I'm a pastor, so every time I hear that school will be out on Friday or Monday I prepare myself mentally for the people who are going to take a trip and get out of dodge... After our best attendance day last weekend of 151, we dipped yesterday and were back down to 124. Not bad, but not great.

With that said, it's probably a good time for me to emphasize that after 20+ years of ministry, I've learned that it's not about the "event," it's always about the process or the journey... This is "BIG" for me: if I allow myself to be consumed with an "event" mentality I'll get really, really "high" when things go great, and really, really in the "dumps" when things go...not so great... Not a great way to live.

Furthermore, it's always important to remember that it's not about having a "big crowd." The goal is "CHANGED LIVES." If we continue seeing God "change lives," the attendance figures will ultimately take care of themselves.

Do I believe it's God's will for a2 Church to grow? You bet! Growth is always the by product of life! And if we're "alive" we'll grow... But those of us who do this thing have to remember that sometimes GROWTH can be occurring, even when it can't be visibly seen or observed... Then one day - BOOM - we realize that while we were simply being "faithful" to God's purpose and plan He did what only He can do!

I believe this! I'm committed to it. That's why next week I know we'll have more than 1,235... Just kidding!

Okay, with all of that said, here are a few thoughts about yesterday.

• Good, not great day. It was one of those days when everything felt “off” just a notch. Again, after 20 years I’ve learned that regardless of how much you prepare, some days are just like that. It happens. I think sometimes it happens just so God can show you that He’s still God, and when it’s all said and done, it’s not about you, it’s really all about Him.

• This was yesterday’s set list: Marvelous Light (Charlie Hall), Salvation Is Here (Hillsong), Saved My Soul (Generation Unleashed), Amazed (Lincoln Brewster). We also did covers of Home by Daughtry and Treasure of the Broken Land by Mark Heard.

Mike Shaw “brought it” during home. I love this guy’s voice! Janet and Jason thanks for Treasures of the Broken Land. This song is special to me...

• Wrapped up the “Come Home” series and I really believe people got a new perspective on the gospel of grace. The response from our “Connection Cards” were really positive.

• Shared the story of my Dad’s “Home Going” at the end of yesterday’s service. It’s the first time I’ve shared the story since doing my Dad’s memorial. I thank God for the legacy and memories my Dad gave me. I love you, Dad. And I will see you again.

• I’m really excited about all the activity taking place @ a2 and I am looking forward to the next series. GOD, LOVE, SEX: The Song of Solomon. I’ve really felt a leading to talk about this subject. So this weekend we will take on one of the toughest subjects to address – SEX and HUMAN SEXUALITY from God’s perspective.

• I know the subject of sex gets many people uncomfortable – me included. But what I’ve noticed is that THE CHURCH is really the ONLY entity NOT TALKING about this subject. Everybody else is talking: television, movies, music, science books, peers, co-workers… You name it! And yet, THE CHURCH - commissioned to present God’s truth to a desperate world - is far too often completely SILENT on a subject that can be a tremendous source of joy or a tremendous source of pain. Well, this Sunday, we are going to talk about it a2. We’ll be candid, yet discreet. We’ll be sensitive, yet courageous. God has A LOT to say about this subject. In fact, ONE ENTIRE BOOK of the Bible is devoted to it. This Sunday we’ll begin unpacking a series of 3,000-year-old love letters. I can guarantee you, if you live in BHM, you don’t want to miss it.

• BTW, over the weekend, Paul B. and David W. did a great job re-routing all the stage wiring. We now have clean stage. Janet added several rugs and they give the stage a cool feel. I love the hearts of these guys. They are humble servants who just keep “showing up” and doing the right thing!

• Pumped about the improvements taking place in our Children’s Ministry area. Chris G., Kevin J. and Billy W. have really taken the lead on this. In the next few weeks our Children’s area is going to be totally transformed and create a “wow” experience for a2 Kids. I can’t wait.

• Also pumped about the Student “Hang Out” room that is in development. Just a cool room for students to meet for small group time that will feel like “their” room. Darrell G. and Chris G. are taking the lead on this. Thanks guys.

• In the next few weeks we should see a ton of improvements to the property. Bobby D. is finishing off the floors. Thanks, Bobby.

• New granite counters, sinks and faucets have been donated for the Ladies and Men’s Rest Rooms. That’s right, within the next couple of weeks you won’t have to turn the knobs on the faucets “just right” to turn the water off. They’ll actually work the way God intended. Nice.

• We'll also do an "all church WORK DAY" on Saturday, February 28. We've got lots we want to do. Make plans to lend a hand.

• We’re already gearing up for Easter 2009. Let me just tip you off. Jesus is alive! And we are going to celebrate His resurrection the way it ought to be celebrated. I can’t wait and am already praying for the biggest “harvest” of people coming to Jesus that I’ve ever personally been a part of.

• Well that’s it for this update, I’ll update you on the series mid week. Keep the faith. I love you and I’m praying for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

-- I invite you to visit www.manikatobook.com - my new book Manikato:"only the lover can know God" novella in verse on Song of Solomon.

Here it the press kit:
http://www.manikatobook.com/pdf/press-kit-manikato.pdf

Welcome your feedback

Philip