Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'M COUNTING ON GOD!!!

Iraq. Afghanistan. The $700 billion dollar rescue plan. A plummeting stock market. Growing tension with Russia. Fears about Iran and North Korea. Brooding anxiety and uncertainty about the economy and future. There's no doubt about it: these are dangerous times.

Here's my question: "What can you count on when everything around you seems to be crumbling?"

This is the same question someone asked David in Psalm 11: "When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?"

The panic that launched that question didn't come from David. It came from one of his well-meaning adviser's. In fact, that question is only PART of their advice. In Psalm 11:1-2, these guys looked at David and said, "Run to the mountain. Get out of Dodge. The bottom's dropped out of the country... Good people don't really have a chance. This is your only option. You have some powerful enemies and they're closing ranks. The foundations are being destroyed. Everything you built your life on is collapsing. You had better run while you can."

Psalm 11 was written during a time of national crisis. It contains incredible insight for people like you and me living in times like these. It indicates that one of the most important things we can do when it feels like the "earth is moving beneath our feet" is to RE-FOCUS on the CHARACTER OF GOD.

RE-FOCUS ON THE CHARACTER OF GOD

Check out the first four verses of Psalm 11.

Psalm 11:1-4 (NIV), In the LORD I take refuge. How then can you say to me: "Flee like a bird to your mountain. 2 For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart. 3 When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?" 4 The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne.

I think James Montgomery Boice nailed it when he wrote these words:

"We do not have a strong church today nor do we have many strong Christians. We can trace the cause to an acute lack of sound spiritual knowledge. Why is the church weak? Why are individual Christians weak? It's because they have allowed their minds to become conformed to the "spirit of this age," with its mechanistic, godless thinking. They have forgotten what God is like and what He promises to do for those who trust Him.

Ask an average Christian to talk about God. After getting past the expected answers you will find that his god is a little god of vacillating sentiments. He is a god who would like to save the world but who cannot. He would like to restrain evil, but somehow he finds it beyond his power. So he has withdrawn into semi-retirement, being willing to give good advice in a grandfatherly sort of way, but for the most part He has left His children to fend for themselves in a dangerous environment.

Such a god is not the God of the Bible. ..the God of the Bible is not weak; He is strong! He is all-mighty. Nothing disturbs or puzzles Him. His purposes are always accomplished. Therefore those who know Him rightly act with boldness, assured that God is with them to accomplish His own desirable purposes in their lives."


Wow! I think Boice is right!

During times like these we must FOCUS on the CHARACTER of God. It's crucial to remember truths like:

God is sovereign. He really is in control.
God is omniscient. He knows the score.
God is merciful. He sees my pain.
God is gracious. He provides me with what I could never deserve.
God is loving. He loves me completely and unconditionally.
God is good. His plans and purposes for my life are for my ultimate good (Romans 8:28).

In the book of Daniel, the prophet indicated that "...…the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits." (Daniel 11:32)

Instead of overdosing on Fox News, CNN, HNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC or CBS, why not lean into the truth of Psalm 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Guys, I don't know what lies ahead. I don't have a clue of what bad news we may get hit with tomorrow. But what I do know is that during times like this I must focus on what I know to be true about the God who created me, loves me and sustains me.

I want you to know that I'm praying for you and praying for our country. If there's a way I can pray for you more specifically, please don't hesitate to email or call.

In the mean time, here's a song that is owning me right now. It's from New Life Worship and titled "Counting On God." Check out the story behind the song and CD right HERE.

No comments: