Friday, May 23, 2008

a2 - FAILURE AND EXPECTATIONS

Here’s the final installment of notes from a2’s Launch Team Meeting on Sunday, May 18… It attempts two this question: What if we fail? And, What can we expect?

What if we FAIL?

What if people don’t buy in? What if something goes wrong?

Does that mean we didn’t discern God’s will correctly? Does that mean we shouldn’t move forward?


Is it possible that we could fail? Absolutely.

Personally, I’ve never been more aware of my inadequacies and shortcomings than I am right now…

But one of my favorite books is a book by John Ortberg with this title:

“If you want to walk on water, you’ve got to get out of the boat…”

Here’s the story: Peter was sitting in a boat one day with eleven other disciples when he saw Jesus walking on the water. Peter looked at Jesus and said, “If it’s you, call me to come…” Jesus said, “Come.” And Peter got up and went…

Did he eventually sink. Yes. But for a moment he walked on water!

You need to know this when it comes to a2: we might sink. It could happen… But as for me, I’ve got to give the “water walking thing” a try…

Why? Because I would rather get out of the boat and try my best to follow Jesus than to sit in a comfortable boat and never know what it feels like to walk on water.


Finally, what can we EXPECT?

• We can expect this to be DIFFICULT.

We can expect opposition and spiritual warfare. This is a battle for the hearts of human beings and Satan will not take this lying down.

There will be difficulties. There will be doubts. There will be obstacles and problems. There will be times when it will feel like this is really hard work. Why? Because it really is… But “if God is for us, who can be against us.”

• We can expect FEAR.

The number one response that people in the Bible have when God calls them to do something extraordinary is FEAR.

There will be moments filled with fear in this adventure of faith… There have already been some for me, and there will be for us as a church.

But courage is the ability to trust God and do the right thing in spite of my fears…

• We can expect to SEE GOD in action.

That’s just the way it works… When you take a step of faith, you start seeing God show up…


NOTE: If you want more information on being a part of a2’s Launch Team post a comment on this blog or email me at cgoins@a2church.org. I look forward to hearing from you.

1 comment:

L.G. Reeves said...

Hi Chris,

I am following you blog about the A2. Love you guys.