Monday, May 19, 2008

Alice Cooper and Truth


I'll never forget as a kid learning about the music of shock rocker Alice Cooper at one of those "The Truth About Rock" seminars at our local church. I was so scared out of my mind about what I had heard that I was probably the first to go forward for prayer, (even though my parents outlawed rock music in my home), and I also ended up having some incredible nightmares... Check out the pic. That's enough to scare anybody.

Today I read this post from Tim Stevens and Corey Mann with an amazing quote from Cooper.

Read the entire quote. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Truth...from the Mouth of Alice Cooper?
Posted by Tim Stevens

Quote from Alice Cooper in the book Life on Planet Rock, page 66-67:

I was pretty much convinced all my life that there was just one God, and there was Jesus Christ, and there was the devil. You couldn't believe in God without believing in the devil. I always tell bands that the most dangerous thing you can do is to believe in the concept of the devil or the concept of God, because you aren't giving them full credit.

When you believe in God, you've got to believe in the all-powerful God. He's not just God, he's the all-powerful God, and he has total control over everyone's life. The devil on the other hand, is a real character that's trying his hardest to tear your life apart. If you believe that this is just mythology, you're a prime target, because you know that's exactly what Satan wants: to be a myth. But he's not a myth, of this I'm totally convinced of that.

So here we are. We have God pulling us one way and the devil pulling us another, and we're in the middle. We have to make a choice. And everyone, at some point in their life, has to make that choice. When people say, "How do you believe this? Why do you believe this?" I just say nothing else speaks to my heart. This doesn't speak to my intellect, it doesn't speak to my logic-it speaks right to my heart and right to my soul, deeper than anything I've ever thought of. And I totally believe it. That being said, I'm not a very good Christian. I mean, none of us are ever good Christians. That's not the point. When you're a Christian, it doesn't mean you're gonna be good, it means you've got a harder road to pull.


Thanks to Corey Mann for the quote.

May 19, 2008

3 comments:

L.G. Reeves said...

I went to one of those seminars when I was in high school. It freaked me out being a red neck from Texas and realizing all the "evil" on my records...

Unknown said...

Dude if we would have only Played Mike Warnke records backwards we might have know he was a total fake back then...lol....NATAS NATAS! We had a record burning after youth camp every year...I cant believe I burned my REO Speedwagon and Zeppelin Records...

Chris Goins said...

I didn't even have any of those records and it still freaked me out...

Thanks for the comment...
C.G.