Thursday, May 22, 2008

PAIN, TRAGEDY AND WHY?

Last night I received a message from Jessica Borklund asking that we pray for her eleven month old daughter, McKaylee. McKaylee was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few months ago. The tumor has grown and become symptomatic.

McKaylee went in to Children's Hospital for an MRI yesterday, which revealed the growth of the tumor. While the tumor is inoperable, this morning McKaylee underwent surgery and a small piece of the tumor was removed. A biopsy is underway. The family will know the results in 5-7 days.

Please pray.

On top of that, this morning my heart was also gripped by the story of the tragedy in Stephen Curtis Chapman's family. As many of you know, SCC is a gifted and much loved Christian music artist. His music has touched the lives of thousands, maybe millions. Yesterday his five year old daughter, Maria, died in a tragic car accident. You can read a statement from the Chapman family here.

Please pray.

As the father of three girls, my heart is moved by the stories of McKaylee and Maria. I don't understand the reason "why?" I can't imagine the pain these parents are experiencing.

All I know is that Paul's words in Romans 8 make a whole lot of sense in light of these two situations and what's going on in our world: "...the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth...and we ourselves...groan inwardly as we await our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies" (Romans 8:22-23).

I don't understand the tragedy the Chapman's have experienced. I can't even imagine the questions McKaylee's parents are struggling with... But these stories make me all the more aware of how much I long for our ultimate redemption.

PRAY for Stephen, Jessica, Landon and McKaylee Borklund.

PRAY for the family of Stephen Curtis Chapman.

1 comment:

c.w. goad said...

Hi Chris,

We join you in your prayer requests....trusting God's wisdom and living a faith that is raw.

Chester

www.ferventservant.blogspot.com