Monday, August 11, 2008

MUSIC THAT MOVES ME

I was a traveling itinerant speaker when I first heard a recording by Darlene Zschech and Hillsong. That cassette included the song, "Shout to the Lord." Now, a modern classic.

Over the years, Darlene and the guys and gals at Hillsong have continued to write and record worship music that has had an incredible impact on the church of Jesus - the world over.

Two years ago I stood in a large church in Indonesia and heard more than 3,000 Indonesians (many of whom did not speak English) passionately singing the words to several of Hillsong's worship songs. Amazing.

Well last Tuesday I picked up Hillsong's newest worship release: "This Is Our God." It's been in constant rotation on my CD player, I-pod and DVD player since.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best praise and worship CD's to date.

While the CD is great, if you really want to experience a little bit of what this evening must have been like, pick up the DVD. PICK IT UP! DO IT!

Highlights include:

"Healer"

I can guarantee you that you'll be hearing this song over the next few months in churches around the around.

More than two years ago, Michael Guglimucci of Planet Shakers, was given 6 months to lives due to a battle with terminal cancer.

Words can't describe the emotion I experienced when Michael walks onto the stage with oxygen tank in hand, and reads from Isaiah 53 and then begins to sing, "I believe you're my healer..." The first time I watched this I came unglued...

"You'll Come"

Brooke Fraser is one of the most gifted singers and songwriters of this generation. This girl can write! This girl can sing!

Towards the end of the evening Brooke sings "You'll Come." The lyrics and melody of this song are absolutely beautiful. The first time I heard Brooke sing it, I was blown away...

Closing of the DVD
The CD / DVD closes with Joel Houston singing "With Everything." By the way, this guy is amazing...

On the DVD an unnamed man walks out on the stage and reads from the book of Revelation. He exhorts the crowd and then simply says, "Good night."

The band starts to leave the stage... The large center screen turns white with one word displayed: JESUS.

Even on the DVD it's obvious something is up... The people were not ready to leave. With very little accompaniment, they break out into spontaneous praise to God.

After my wife Janet watched the DVD, she said, "Chris, you've got to watch this..."

Once again, I was deeply touched.

I can't remember watching a praise and worship DVD that has moved me so deeply.

If you've not picked up the CD or the DVD and you can spare 20 bucks, pick up the DVD. Set your receiver to Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Turn off your cell phone, blackberry and background noise. Turn on the DVD and get ready to "have church."

No comments: