Tuesday, August 19, 2008

OFF TO A SOLID START

Yesterday I crashed...

After working basically 18 hour days throughout the week to get ready for the launch of a2, traveling to TN on the weekend to help out with my Dad, speaking in weekend services for my Dad's church on Saturday PM and Sunday AM, traveling back to BHM in time to speak Sunday PM at a2...yesterday I crashed...

I took a mid afternoon nap... Got up, did a little work, went back to bed...

Then this morning I was WIDE AWAKE at 3:45... I got up... Opened up God's Word and this is where my annual trek through God's Word had me...

Zechariah 4:6-7, "This is what the LORD says to Zerubbabel: It is not by might nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the LORD Almighty. 7 Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel's way; it will flatten out before him! Then Zerubbabel will set the final stone of the Temple in place, and the people will shout: 'May God bless it! May God bless it!'"

At around 4 AM this morning God reminded me that even though a healthy work ethic is important... Even though work is a gift from God... Even though those of us blessed with physical strength should employ it in a way that brings glory to God, when it comes down to it - "It's not by my might. It's not by my power. But it's by God's Spirit. And when God's in the arrangements even huge mountains are nothing but molehills."

Wow! That was worth the 3:50 AM divine alarm...

Then I read these words:

Zechariah 4:10 (NLT), Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin...

Sunday night a2 got off to a solid start. It wasn't tiny... It wasn't huge... It was solid...

This morning I smiled when I read these words, "The Lord rejoices to see the work begin."

What a thought... After a lot work, sweat, prayer and tears... Just to think that Sunday night God might have been smiling as He watched this tiny work begin...

Again, that's worth a 3:50 meeting.

So, here's to whatever lies ahead... Here's to the future... Here's to an adventure with God that He rejoices to see... Here's to not depending upon my strength, power, charisma or work ethic to make it happen... Here's to partnering with God in the adventure of a life time...

We're off to a solid start...

2 comments:

Shannon Johnson said...

Chris, thank you for leading us in a wonderful Sunday night. We had our neighbors, Dan and Teddy Butcher there as well as Laura from Ross Bridge. They all said the service was a great study - and they look forward to coming back! Praying for you, Janet and the girls for strength, protection and continued favor & joy!!!!

jeremyself said...

incredible word! love it! i actually had planned to pray, "the end of the matter is better than the beginning..." similar to the thought of the Lord loving the beginnings! keep up the hard work! i know God is doing amazing things in and through you ALREADY!