Friday, January 9, 2009

A REMINDER TO USE S.O.A.P.

About a year ago, I shared this insight that I picked up from Wayne Cordiero of New Hope Church in Hawaii. It's a little tool his church uses in their daily devotional time. I blogged about this on January 31, 2008, but thought it might be helpful to remind you of this very helpful acrostic.

Use S.O.A.P.

S = Scripture
O = Observation
A = Application
P = Prayer


Scripture
Adopt a daily Bible reading plan… Get into God’s Word for yourself – DAILY!

Once again, this year I’m using an online plan developed by Christianity Today. You can check out the plan at: http://bible.christianity.com/readingplan/.

As you’re reading, ask the Holy Spirit to highlight ONE VERSE or thought in the section you’re reading. When he does, WRITE THE VERSE DOWN in your journal.

Observation
After you record the Scripture in your journal, take some time to think about and meditate on what the verse says. Let the message of this passage sink in… Then, write down in manuscript form your observations. It may take a sentence. It may take a few paragraphs, but write down your observations. What does this passage say?

Application
This is where things start to get personal. After you’ve observed what the text says, take some time to write out how you plan to put this passage into action. Application always answers the question: “How does this verse apply to me?” Write that down… Let the Holy Spirit speak to you… Make the application as personal and relevant as possible.

Prayer
The final letter in the acrostic reminds us to record our prayer. Based upon the passage the Holy Spirit has sort of “blown up” in your Spirit, write out a prayer asking God to help you apply what you’ve just learned.


Here's what S.O.A.P. looked like for me today. (I edited some of the content to protect the guilty and innocent.)


Scripture

Luke 6:27-31 (NLT), ...if you are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. 28 Pray for the happiness of those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other cheek. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also. 30 Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don't try to get them back. 31 Do for others as you would like them to do for you.

Observation
Jesus challenges us to love without limits or conditions. To even love those who are unloving and seem to revel in our personal pain.

This is a challenge to utter selflessness. Not only am I to do this very "subjective" thing called "love." But Jesus challenges me to make it practical. To let it take on concrete form. "Pray for the happiness of those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you."

Jesus calls us to humlity. "If somebody slaps you on one cheek, turn the other..."

He calls us to generosity and grace. "If they demand your coat, give them your shirt."

Application
I must move towards love, selflessness, humility, generosity and kindness, even towards the people who've caused me incredible personal pain. This won't be easy. The pain is deep. The memories are fresh. The costs are significant. But I need to move away from anger and bitterness, and towards love.

Prayer
Oh, God. I need you. I need you to help me love __________. I've harbored hatred, bitterness and anger in my heart for these individuals for some time. Please help me move towards love. I need You.

I pray for these individuals, their spouse, family, ministry, business... I ask that you bless them and allow them to experience happiness.

Give me the grace to walk this out. In Jesus' name.



Just a friendly reminder to USE S.O.A.P.

No comments: