Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reset Fasting Blog - Day 18 (Burn Baby Burn)

Me and Janet just completed the 18th day of this 21 day adventure of prayer and fasting, and I have sensed such a reigniting of passion, excitement and energy in my life.

There are all kinds of things that can rob us of passion.

Failure.
Criticism.
Exhaustion.

Just to name a few... Been there. Done it.

Somehow during this fast I've sensed God re-ignite passion, excitement and creativity in my life.

For instance, tonight was supposed to be a simple little teaching on the birth, definition and marks of a healthy church. "Supposed to be..." Before it was over I had preached with such incredible intensity and passion that my wife and daughter were wondering, "What happened to Chris?"

My point? I didn't enter this fast with a focus on God reigniting passion in my life. I entered this fast desperate for Jesus. But today as I reflected on what God has been doing in my life I could sense maybe just a little of Jeremiah sensed when he said, "...if I say I’ll never mention the Lord or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can’t do it!" (Jeremiah 20:9 NLT)

John Wesley, an eighteenth century revivalists and theologian was reported to have said, "When you set yourself on fire, people will come to watch you burn."

As we enter the final three days of this fast I am asking God to "set us on fire." I'm praying that God will restore your joy, excitement, energy and passion.

I love you and I'm praying for you...

Burn baby burn!

No comments: